Spotlight help

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am sure I know the reason I removed it.

screenshot_891.jpg

Could it be a double pole switch controlling a fan in the bathroom?

When the moisture levels in the loft rise, condensation forms on the inside of the JB ahem I mean switch lid and when it drips down onto the terminals, the fan comes on...

Sponsored Links
It would seem the lamps are being changed from 12 volt which yes is extra low voltage and would if separated (SELV) have no earth or functional (FELV) where it could have an earth or protective (PELV) which will have an earth. And supplied from a device which transforms the supply from 230 Vac to 12 Vdc which contains a device called a transformer but also has a lot of other electronics to reduce size and weight and as a result also the frequency is transformed from 50 Hz to likely some where in the MHz range. It also regulates the RMS voltage which is rather important as it does increase lamp life as does having a thicker filament in the lamp.

In his attempt to change he to start with forgot to remove the transformer, he then forgot to include the earth. It also seems he has thought a junction box has internal links had he used a maintenance free type it would have done. So yes he needs to do it again and properly which I am sure he will.

There also seems to be some instructions as to covers, plus the old argument as to what MR16, GU10, G5.3 etc means. It is not limited to electrical every other area seems to have arguments as to names. I remember "DOS" which in the old Amiga book it said it was the device operation system, no not disc as DOS came in before we had floppy discs even the old audio tape loading computers still had DOS. So today Windows 10 is still a device operating system but we all know it is not considered as being DOS. In the same way in the electrical industry there is a historical reason may be it should be miss spelt as hysterical I am good at those mistakes.

So the question now is why are the lamps being changed? Main reason is to use LED versions and if that is the case then heat is not a problem and the not covering thing goes away. I would say step one is used maintenance free junction boxes.
jpg
these have a number of advantages including cable grips. Or at least a junction box designed for the job
jpg
note how much tidier it looks. Also the connector blocks are linked no need for link wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back