Spur from wall socket to ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a socket to the ceiling to power a home cinema projector. I would be able to spur it from an existing wall socket by running the new cable behind wall up to the ceiling. A new false ceiling is being installed so I will be able fish it through to the location I need it to be. I have spur'd from other existing sockets in the past but I haven't done one up to the ceiling before. Just wondering if there are any special requirements I should be aware of?

Sponsored Links
Don't think it's allowed, see this:

But maybe a socket in the wall (within the "prescribed" zones as described in the video) and a flex and plug would be acceptable.

Blup

Considering most ceilings have cables running through them, in many cases just draped between joists rather than clipped, then you'll be fine. Stick to the safe zones when you come up the wall, make sure the circuit is RCD protected, try and sit the cable on top of the false ceiling timbers (maybe even thread some 20mm placcie conduit over it to protect it from stray screws going into the ceiling for future light fittings or whatever) and off you go.

You might want to think about getting a UPS into the circuit (not sure about domestic but you can trash a commercial projector by cutting the power while the lamp is lit). The UPS has to be accessible, there is nothing wrong with using adequately rated 3 core flex in the ceiling/wall from the UPS to the outlet

Sponsored Links
I would suggest that you will need a fused connection unit, either at the source socket, or mounted on the ceiling for the projector to connect to.

I used to install overhead projectors by the dozen, and a switched fused connection unit in an accessible place is a good idea, no need for one on the ceiling, socket is more than adequate

I used to install overhead projectors by the dozen, and a switched fused connection unit in an accessible place is a good idea, no need for one on the ceiling, socket is more than adequate

Why? The projector plug has a fuse.

if you can lift the floorboards of the room above you might find that the upstairs sockets are powered by cables that pass nearby or could be modified to take a socket off and ceiling mount.

Why? The projector plug has a fuse.

Allow me to explain, I usually fit projectors in schools but the same applies in domestic, when the projector is ceiling mounted a fused spur at dado height allows the teacher to switch off at home time, also allows a smaller cable to be used to supply the socket

... also allows a smaller cable to be used to supply the socket
Although having an accessible switch is clearly highly desirable, I'm not sure that it has to be in an FCU. If all that is at the end of the cable is a single socket (into which a fused plug will be plugged) that downstream fuse will normally be enough to allow one to feed the socket with 'smaller cable' (albeit never <1.5mm²) whether or not there is an FCU).

Kind Regards, John

I deal with projectors every day. I wouldn't worry in a domestic environment about a switched spur in case of something going wrong. Most have figure of eight or IEC mains leads and if something caugh fire I would pull the lead using something like a broom or plain leg it out of the building.

In 30 odd years I have never seen a projector fire

Is it not a good idea to switch off appliances when on holiday, I do, without resorting to brooms

On holiday, I would maybe unplug, but probably not - do you unplug everything? I don't
Most of our ceiling mounted projectors stay on standby for four to five years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back