Spur, Ring or separate thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a double socket on the outside wall at the back of my house (external IP rated socket), it's taking power from the kitchen ring which just happens to have a socket inside the building directly behind the socket on the outside -very handy. The external socket is on a spur from the internal socket. Some questions....

1. Is this within regulations? (ignoring the fact that the spur cable is bog standard 2.5 T+E which I'm sure is outside regs).

2. Given how close the two socket are (only the cavity wall thickness apart) would it not be better to break the ring and add the external socket in to the ring?

3. Perhaps this socket needs a separate circuit (or best practice would be to have a separate circuit)?

4. Perhaps you can use bog standard T & E to connect to external sockets if it's in a conduit? the cable running to mine has no such protection!

YES ..... - BC notified ages ago!

Sponsored Links
Some questions....

1. Is this within regulations? (ignoring the fact that the spur cable is bog standard 2.5 T+E which I'm sure is outside regs).
Has this socket got RCD protection, as it would be required for an outside socket

2. Given how close the two socket are (only the cavity wall thickness apart) would it not be better to break the ring and add the external socket in to the ring?
It would be better to fit an isolator or switched fused connection unit, next to the internal socket and have the spur to the external socket taken from that, the reason being external sockets will be more vulnerable to moisture ingress and a fault on that socket could leave you without power on the kitchen ring final or even the whole installation, having a double pole isolator, will allow you to isolate the external socket and also no one can pinch your electric, when turned off
3. Perhaps this socket needs a separate circuit (or best practice would be to have a separate circuit)?
isolator as above
4. Perhaps you can use bog standard T & E to connect to external sockets if it's in a conduit? the cable running to mine has no such protection!
Is the cable exposed to the external environment? I understood straight from one internal to one external outlet.

First off, apologies - somehow I've ended up posting in the outside UK area. Anyway....

Yes, all circuits, including the kitchen ring are on RCD (split between two RCD's in a Dual RCD CU)

I like the double pole isolator suggestion. I think I might go down that road.

The cable runs through the inner leaf across the cavity through the outer leaf then directly in to the socket. I guess that its therefore not particularly exposed at all. That said, not a big job to fit a short piece of plastic conduit.

First off, apologies - somehow I've ended up posting in the outside UK area. Anyway....
No worries I guessed that, my replies apply to your location.
The cable runs through the inner leaf across the cavity through the outer leaf then directly in to the socket. I guess that its therefore not particularly exposed at all. That said, not a big job to fit a short piece of plastic conduit.
Is there any likelihood that debris can fall down the cavity and damage the cable, if so worth protecting it, if not, should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Yes, all circuits, including the kitchen ring are on RCD (split between two RCD's in a Dual RCD CU)

I like the double pole isolator suggestion. I think I might go down that road.
It is the best solution, will prevent internal power loss, allow you to maintain external socket without having to lose any internal power, the external socket can be turned off to prevent any unauthorised use when you're not about.

Let's get real. Who is going to in someone's back garden to mis use electricity (it can't be stolen).

Let's get real. Who is going to in someone's back garden to mis use electricity (it can't be stolen).
Someone with an electric car and a long charging lead.

I once heard of a family that plugged their washing machine into the next door neighbours s outside socket when the neighbours were at work.

I was asked to move a socket on a wall when new owners bought a house on a hill.

It transpired the socket was supplied from the next door neighbours supply it would seem common practice to give neighbours key while on holiday and some one had taken opportunity to steal neighbours power.

This however is rare (I hope) and stealing neighbours power is rare. However my caravan is parked next door but one, and connected to their supply (It is my father-in-law).

But personally with the set up described I would leave it as it stands. OK if starting from scratch I would include a switched FCU but I would not bother changing it once done the way described.

Sponsored Links
Back