Spurring to make an additional socket

Sponsored Links
Could I run the cable straight from the back of the socket to the FCU? Then from there to my new socket behind the TV?

Yes. Technically it can go anywhere along the cable run.
It's worth looking at the best place to mount it i.e. right next to one of the sockets

If the socket is already a spur, the FCU would make no difference - so no point having an FCU.

I do agree, but without reading back through the posts I don't think we don't know if the socket in question is already fused down or not. In which case I would be happier knowing that the extended socket is fused even if it is just powering a TV.

I do agree, but without reading back through the posts I don't think we don't know if the socket in question is already fused down or not. In which case I would be happier knowing that the extended socket is fused even if it is just powering a TV.
It will be "fused down" by the fuse in the plug - an FCU 'protecting' a socket off a spur will do nothing to help.

Sponsored Links
I assumed a fcu might be a good idea due to bit's and pieces often used with TV's so mentioned using one if there is a need for more than 1 double socket.

MK do a 3 way socket with built in fuse but for av recievers, various boxes 3 way may not be enough. We use an extension lead of a single socket. 6way. Powering 2 sticks, av reciever, TV and a recorder. TV changed now so less needed but a 2 way still isn't enough.

It will be "fused down" by the fuse in the plug - an FCU 'protecting' a socket off a spur will do nothing to help.

In itself I still agree, but we can't guarantee what loads may used on those sockets. It may be assumed that a TV is the only thing that the final spur (if left unaltered) will ever feed, but what if someone plugs in a Vac whist a kettle or electric heater is being used on the socket that feeds the new spur, only to find that the first socket is also an unfused spur. We would find that somewhere in the wall or under the floor is a single cable now pulling over 13A. Unlikely be an issue for 2.5mm I know, but is that not the reason why we use an FCU, to protect the initial spur from what ever loads may occur.

The plan is to have 2 double sockets behind the TV. All that will be there is a TV, sky box, and a soundbar. The socket that will be the “donor” is in the corner and all that will ever be in that is a lamp.

The plan is to have 2 double sockets behind the TV. All that will be there is a TV, sky box, and a soundbar. The socket that will be the “donor” is in the corner and all that will ever be in that is a lamp.

Definitely feed via an FCU if there's more than one socket while we hammer this one out.

Draw the circuit.

A bit basic, but you get the idea.

sk-cccc2857f6fd8ec5ab22f2c6c91c3f56.jpeg

Yes, so what good will an FCU between socket 1 and 2 do?

Depends on if we're assuming socket 2 is a single or double.
Nothing in the case of it being a single. Like you said, the fuse in the plug would limit the load after socket 1 to no greater than 13A, so no different to using an FCU.
Obviously nothing stopping us reaching 26A on a double though. The issue there being the current passing through the cable to socket 1, especially if running something from there too.

In an ideal world though it would be good to know if socket 1 is running off an FCU to protect the cable feeding it.

I'm interested in your thoughts though as I am known for overkill use of protective devices.

Depends on if we're assuming socket 2 is a single or double.
Nothing in the case of it being a single. Like you said, the fuse in the plug would limit the load after socket 1 to no greater than 13A, so no different to using an FCU.
...but that still would not limit the load before socket 1. The cable after socket 1 is not the problem.

Obviously nothing stopping us reaching 26A on a double though. The issue there being the current passing through the cable to socket 1, especially if running something from there too.
Exactly.

In an ideal world though it would be good to know if socket 1 is running off an FCU to protect the cable feeding it.
Aren't both sockets - either side of chimney - both likely to be on a ring circuit?
I think the thread has been confused with too many suggestions.

I'm interested in your thoughts though as I am known for overkill use of protective devices.
Well, assuming the sockets, from which the spur is to be run, are on a ring, then I would use 4mm² for the spur which could then have as many sockets on it as you like.

If the socket is already a spur, then television equipment isn't going to cause overload issues anyway - and an FCU wouldn't cure the non-compliant part nor affect the load.
That is IF it is non-compliant having assessed the load of TV equipment.

The fcu is needed before 2 or more sockets but not if just one. With one socket you could plug a short extension lead in and use the keyholes in them to keep it in place. That's what I do. Multisocket extension leads will be fused if more than 2 sockets on them. Surge protected ones aren't a bad idea for electronic stuff but these days items tend to have something built in that can at least take care of spikes.

As you probably can't get at either I'd still be inclined to feed via switched fuse connection unit so all can be switched of easily if the electronics decides to let the smoke out.. That makes them work. Must be smoke as they always stop working when they do that. There isn't a specific need to do this but as with stuff in kitchens it's preferred rather than having hidden plugs and sockets. Or if an extension lead is used at the end a double pole switch or sfcu. The fuse is used to limit the load. Cable faults etc are looked after elsewhere.

746A99CC-D1FC-463C-BD8D-FD002185D8A7.jpeg
C1D2C8BD-6643-4643-8BA5-6603F15F2805.jpeg
Here is a pic of whats there just now. The socket on the left is for an old electric fire that used to be in the house before I moved in. It is in the fuse box in the kitchen marked up as “fire point” and is 15A. Im assuming that it has one cable coming in from the mains, and the other is going out to what was the old fire? Not sure where it goes as theres now a gas fire there so I assume its been terminated at the other end when gas fire was installed? Although it still lights up when I switch the switch on. Could this be something I could incorporate for my situation, as in could I run cable from that up to my new sockets?
0B5C0A49-903C-42A4-AD61-D186465C6963.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back