squeek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Driving along in the sun with the windows down. I notice a squeek from the passenger side, outside. Its following me! Oh wait, its my car! Its a constant chirruping, almost like birdsong. Only when I brake does it goes away. Accellerating or engine braking does not alter the pitch of the frequency of the sound, and it matters not whether my clutch is engaged.

What could it be?

Citroen C4 diesel by the way

Sponsored Links
Is your car fitted with discs all round (usually the case with Citroens)? Might try new pads, Steve.

Sponsored Links
It could be a pad wear indicator, designed to make a squealing noise when the pads are sufficiently worn to allow a metal peg to contact the disc.

Whatever the cause, get someone to check your brakes as soon as possible.

If your brakes are squealing all of the time, it shows that they are not fully retracting from the surface of the disc....this is nearly always due to a build up of brake dust on the pads and the sliding surfaces of the caliper. So, the brakes need to be dismantled for cleaning, and replacement of parts as required. The pads are fractionally retracted from the disc surface by the distortion of the fluid seal inside the caliper - plenty of dirt around prevents this from happening. Cheers John

I should add then, that the front discs and pads were replaced in June.

The rear discs and pads are old, but still plenty of life in them. And the noise is coming from the front. Would brake squeaking be more constant though? This noise is more of a twittering, I actually thought it was birds in the hedgerows at first.

When the new pads and discs were fitted, its important that the back of the pads were coated with 'coppaslip' grease to prevent squeal - presumably this was done? Anyway, when you're driving along with the squeak in attendance and applying the brakes stops the noise, this has to indicate a brake pad issue - but on the other hand, putting the brakes on does load up the suspension joints so if there are any dry rubber bushes in there it may quieten them up. So - if the car was mine, I'd eliminate the brakes first, as they are dead easy to do, and if the squeak remains, then I'd be looking elsewhere. I wouldn't expect suspension issues on a C4, unless it has a huge mileage. Cheers John
PS I like french cars..... :D

If you got new pads and discs fitted in June, you should take it back and ask them to investigate it for you.

Oh, tetchy. Sorry but French cars are built to pretty low quality standrds. Yes I do have a german car and a jap one too.

F*** off I didnt ask for a comment on my car (though I knew I was going to get one, do you drive an Audi, BMW or Mercedes, perchance?)

73893ff025b00d3c19b305e37cb35cde.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back