Squint in Eye

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

A friend of mine had a quint in his left eye at birth which was corrected by having an operation.

He is now thinking of learning to drive. Would he need any additional devices in his car to help his eye focus better etc, after, hopefully, he has passed his test?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't think so. (these days that would be discrimination or worse).

You said it was repaired so presumably he doesn't have a squint, so... can he see properly?
Is there not a question on the form asking if there are any vision problems?

I believe people with a squint do not actually use that eye so the same as someone with only one.
As long as they can see adequately it should not be mentioned.

The sight test for driving is laughable inadequate, anyway.
I am sure that is the problem with people who appear not to be able to drive very well.
Have you ever noticed that very few people use a bus lane even when outside of the times it is actually reserved for buses? I realised that this is perhaps because they can see the foot wide white line but cannot read the sign stating the times.

Anyone with an Eye impairment can I believe be permitted to drive, a person who has the sight of only one eye is permitted to drive, there may be a requirement to have an eye test to ensure peripheral vision in the remaining sighted eye is acceptable to DVLA

I recently underwent an Eye procedure, a Vitrectomy and Cataract at one at the same time, result was for about 4 weeks that eye was less than useless whilst the gas bubble inserted dissipated and the fluid levels stabilised.

I asked the Doctor who undertook the procedure if I could drive answer was yes but not for about a day after the procedure.

I know several drivers who only have one eye, they are all allowed to drive.

Sponsored Links
Geek, you seem to have enough problems of your own without taking on other people's.

Having now gone through 2 Medical procedures i have found that the Medical staff undertaking the operations are well versed in what is and is not allowed as regards medicine and the DVLA.

Some heart attack surgery will carry for the patient a one month ban to drive a motor car.

Loss of sight in one eye will result in an assessment by a qualified optician, If all is well with the remaining eye the patient can drive a car, but may not be able to drive other vehicles?

As I recall one of the best English Goal keepers up to world cup standard had the use of only one eye??

Indeed he did, the great Gordon Banks.

I've had a squint all my life. My left eye is whats called 'lazy' in that the muscles are weaker than the right. I've had patches, exercises etc but nothing works. Sight in my right eye is perfect so no problems with driving though I do use glasses for close up work and reading.

Considering your nose will obstruct your peripheral vision with just one eye, would it be unreasonable to ask them to remove their nose?

I hear that women can drive in Saudi Arabia now so -

One up on Britain, then.
Oooh, sexist joke. It must be the end of the world.

OK I do not follow or indeed "like" Football, not a sport I undertake

I recall watching an interview with a Football Guru who related a story where Gordon went for a Medical, whilst undergoing this investigation he had one [the good one] looked at by the medical staff, He then did something to distract the Doctor and delayed the Doctor from looking at his other eye for some time.

The canny Gollie then presented the previously looked at eye for investigation.

Result was that he passed the exam and the rest is History

Sponsored Links
Back