Stainless steel rulers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Once again I'm looking for the industry best, I have a Rabone Chesterman 2' ruler which I have had since my apprentice days, some 32 years ago, and although I still use it, it has suffered over the years, since Rabone Chesterman are no longer, I'm looking for alternatives as good or better, the two companies that keeps being mentioned are Vogel and Mitutoyo.

Anyone care to comment or make suggestions, greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My 6 " stainless rule is a "Panda" had it for years, and it has nice clear deep markings. It was, as you might guess from the name, inexpensive. The others are a pretty motley lot as well. :)
To be honest I look for good markings rather than the name.
Folding white plastic 600mm rule is Stanley.
Variety of tapes and other rules inevitably.
We were told to call them "rules" incidentally if they are for measuring, as i still do. Rulers are for drawing lines. :)

You are absolutely correct, rule and rulers, I simply used the word ruler loosely, not in denoting a specific type.

Sponsored Links
ruler.......................

wasnt Julius ceaser 1 of those?

Rabone were bought by Stanley and for a long time they sold under the Stanley-Rabone name. Some of the range (e.g. the 64R) are still available, although these days the packaging just says Stanley. Alternatives include Starrett (US, although they also manufacture at Jedburgh in Scotland) and Moore & Wright (Sheffield) both of which are still about the best you can buy for general engineering uses. These should be readily available through engineer's supply houses

this is spooky :eek::eek:

i have literally ordered a 12 and 18" metal ruler from ebay 2 mins ago and this thread is top off the list
i have never seen a thread about metal rulers beforeo_O

i will inch forward on this thread
i will meter out my thoughts
i will rule out foul play
my thoughts are never MM perfect
i often put my foot in it
give me an inch i will take a yard[havent seen a one mile ruler]
you can rule me out off order but i wont give an inch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back