Stair Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been removing my newel posts and banister as the previous diyer ( I assume it was diy) did not glue the newel post to the supporting post (sorry dont know what this is called)

Anyway, I was looking at the top newel post and noticed it has a split in it, Im assuming this is where the banister wobble is coming from as well as the newel post not being glued.

Now the newel post is rounded at the bottom so it slots into its supporting post and I think I need to replace the supporting post, from what I can see this sits on the joists at the top of the stairs and is bolted through the joist for support.

But am I correct and can I replace this part without it costing me a small fortune? Guessing I need to buy a replacement newel support but can you buy them.

God why do we start these things!

Sponsored Links
I'm not too clear on your terminology here. The newell post is the whole chunk of wood that runs from floor level to the top of the decorative knob (usually called a finial).
You can but all these bits as kit parts. Try a decent wood-yard or upmarket shed.
As ever, a photo would be appreciated

Newel posts can be built up from segmental sections. So long as the base section is either fixed to a joist or m&t'd into the stringer or indeed both, then you have a starting point.

The sections are joined together with male and female or dowel and hole fittings that are snug fitted with glue.

As long as the base of the newel is 'healthy' then a hole can be drilled and the uppermost part of the post glued and dowelled in.

Just uploading photo from my phone guys Im beginning to think I need a new newel base and bolt it to the joists, but I have to get the old newel base out.

Will have the photo soon

Sponsored Links
If the dowel sticking out the floor is sound you should'nt have any major problems. Try looking for somewhere local that stocks Richard Burbage stair parts. Could be that's what you've got which would make life easier than having to drill your own hole. Take the split bits with you. It might help suppliers identify the model you've got.

Hi thanks for your replies beginning to think its not going to cost me a small fortune. The dowel out the floor is sound and originally there was timber round the dowel from the floor which allowed the newel to sit in. So the newel and dowel from the floor are fine just need to Add some glue and bigger screws. I think the part you mention is like a metal coupler? Could i make a box section around the bottom of the newel and top of the dowel which will then allow the newel to sit in again but would it have the strength?

I was also wondering - wouldn't be easy but if i had a block of wood with a hole all the way through the wood could sit on the dowel and then the newel can slot into this coupler
?

Yeah - thinking about it the pre-fab posts I've dealt with have a dowel on the bottom so you'd need a base with a hole in both ends to make an adapter for the peg sticking out of the floor. You could adapt on of these to do the job maybe.

Well I did it, got a piece of 69mm x 69mm timber cut a piece 160mm long and drilled a 52mm hole through the middle, had to get the hammer out to tap it on and split the dam thing.

Had another go, this time drilled a 56mm hole, the block slipped onto the dowel from the floor and I've glued it and screwed through to the dowel.

It feels sturdy apart from I can twist it ever so slightly, but the dowel appears to be twisting with it - which would mean my block of wood is doing what it needs to do?

I can't however work out how the dowel could twist, I've even added a couple of coach screws through the joists and into the dowel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back