Standard 6AMP Pull Cord Switch as Fan Isolator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to get around to replacing the old bathroom in-line ducted extractor fan in the loft with a new run-on version as the one up there currently is next to useless.
As there is a pull cord switch next to the shower, I assumed (I know, never assume, it makes an ASS out of U and ME), that the fan was wired through it, but no, turns out it was a 2 wire version, run straight from the light pull cord switch.
The replacement needs the 3 wire setup, with live plus switched live but needs the isolator adding into the line. Can I use the standard, 6 AMP(?) switch next to the shower, in which case how to wire it, or do I need to get another fitting?
Thanks in advance everyone.

Sponsored Links
As long as the new fan has a permanent live feed along with the switched live you can use the other pull cord to start it up.

You don't have to have an isolator. Though if you fit one it's easier for maintenannce etc..

Sponsored Links
So, if I use the pull cord switch that's there, how would I wire it up - Com, L1, L2?
I've bought some 4 core cable (the 3 usual suspects plus an extra grey one for the switched live) so, apart from the G/Y earth, I'll have neutral, live & switched live in and the same out.

pretty sure that when I installed mine, the instructions clearly stated that an isolator was needed.

They might have but The Electrical Regulations do not require one.

In what way do you think it would affect the fan?

Manufacturers instructions override the regs
They don't, and they are frequently wrong.

Here is an example of wrong manufacturers instructions.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 99
Readers should be aware that the notes relative to 536.4.203 state that if the assembly deviates from the original manufacturers’ instructions, then the person introducing that deviation becomes the manufacturer. So if you have an installation that requires non-standard arrangements, talk to the manufacturer about how to provide this in a compliant manner. Using unapproved parts will invalidate manufacturer guarantees and may result in an unsafe installation.

Readers should be aware that the notes relative to 536.4.203 state that
That is essentially for building consumer units out of parts from different vendors. It has nothing to do with whether you must use an isolation switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back