Standard light fitting with extra large ceiling rose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redecorating and for some reason the holes in the ceiling around the light fittings are quite big and they are visible at the edge of the ceiling rose.

I'm looking at patching these up with plaster but I'm wondering if there's something simpler (ie easier) such as a light with an extra large rose I could fit to cover up these gaps. I thought this must exist but haven't had any joy finding one - just after a bog standard white fitting with 6 inch cord - does anyone know of such a product?

Sponsored Links
Matt,
Not seen (m)any larger Electrical Ceiling roses.
And also you would have to isolate the mains, correctly label the cables, remove the cables, unscrew the ceiling rose. And than do the reverse.
And if your ceiling is in a poor state, then I would be very worried that you would have problems securely screwing the new ceiling rose back up again into the ceiling.

If these holes are just by the ceiling rose my suggestion would be to leave the rose in place, get some white plaster filler and fill holes with finger and flatten with old credit card. Wipe ceiling rose with whet cloth so none left on it.
Let dry, when filler will sink in a bit, and fill again.

You can get filler from Pound Shop, DITY sheds and tehy all look like these:
https://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants...rs/cat850102#category=cat850102&sort_by=price

SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Matt,
Not seen (m)any larger Electrical Ceiling roses.
And also you would have to isolate the mains, correctly label the cables, remove the cables, unscrew the ceiling rose. And than do the reverse.
And if your ceiling is in a poor state, then I would be very worried that you would have problems securely screwing the new ceiling rose back up again into the ceiling.

My suggestion would be to leave the rose in place, get some white plaster filler and fill holes with finger and flatten with old credit card. Wipe ceiling rose with whet cloth so none left on it.
Let dry, when filler will sink in a bit, and fill again.

You can get filler from Pound Shop, DITY sheds and tehy all look like these:
https://www.screwfix.com/c/sealants...rs/cat850102#category=cat850102&sort_by=price

SFK

Thanks SFK. I might end up doing just that - I think the ceiling is in a decent state as it has been replastered and looks good everywhere else. I suspect there used to be a larger light fitting in place and maybe this prompted the plasterer not to close the hole up properly (guessing).

Is replacing a ceiling light a very difficult job? I was planning on switching off at the mains and then just copying wiring over to new fitting.

The other thing I found is a neat looking ceiling patch, a sort of mesh that can be plastered over which I could give a go.

Matt,
Replacing ceiling rose is not hard, but many people get the cables mixed up during the change and come on this site to ask for help.
More it is fiddly, and you have your hands above your head, and can be a bit daunting getting the screws securely back into the ceiling remembering that you must not hit all the cables that are also there.

So not hard, but I feel in your case easier to fix holes from side than make job more complex than it needs to be

Here is a video of someone showing the wiring:

SFK

I'm redecorating and for some reason the holes in the ceiling around the light fittings are quite big and they are visible at the edge of the ceiling rose.

I'm looking at patching these up with plaster but I'm wondering if there's something simpler (ie easier) such as a light with an extra large rose I could fit to cover up these gaps. I thought this must exist but haven't had any joy finding one - just after a bog standard white fitting with 6 inch cord - does anyone know of such a product?

Get yourself one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ceiling-...140858?hash=item33f022be3a:g:~0AAAOxyrrpTicHn

1. switch off the electrics at the mains switch
2. open the existing ceiling rose
3. label the cables - which part of the existing ceiling rose they fit into
4. Unscrew all the cables and remove the ceiling rose
5. Drill a hole through the above attachment (ebay link - also called a ceiling rose to make things even more confusing!) and attach to the ceiling using contact cement
6. Pull the cables through the hole and connect them into the old ceiling rose again
7. Attach the ceiling rose
8. Switch the mains on again

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Matt,
Replacing ceiling rose is not hard, but many people get the cables mixed up during the change and come on this site to ask for help.
More it is fiddly, and you have your hands above your head, and can be a bit daunting getting the screws securely back into the ceiling remembering that you must not hit all the cables that are also there.

So not hard, but I feel in your case easier to fix holes from side than make job more complex than it needs to be

Here is a video of someone showing the wiring:

SFK

Thanks SFK - RE: not hitting the wiring with the screws... I've been putting up a few fittings after the plasterer and haven't thought about this - I just put some drywall screws in the fitting and screwed then straight in. One of them seemed to bite much better than the other, assuming one missed the wood above. Should I be worried about having hit the wiring? Feel stupid asking this!

Matt,
Not sure I can answer "should I be worried about having hit the wiring" as I cannot see your situation.

As a DIYer I would say always be careful and very conscious about possible routes of cables (and pipes in the case of floor boards) before putting screws in.
Try and not worry about it after.

SFK

Last edited:
(I should have added, the reason I'm trying to do this myself
Matt,
Not sure I can answer "should I be worried about having hit the wiring" as I cannot see your situation.

As a DIYer I would say always be careful and very conscious about possible routes of cables (and pipes in the case of floor boards) before putting screws in.
Try and not worry about it after.

SFK

Good point - so try to look up through the gap with a torch to see if I can make out where the cables are lying?

I'm clearly at the 'unconsciously incompetent' phase still!

I should probably rejoic and have another look.

I should add, the reason I'm trying to sort this myself is that these are skimmed over artex ceilings and the tradesmen I've used have a cavalier attitude towards leaving dust everywhere. I've got a very small baby in the house so want to be really careful with any sort of textured ceiling dust!

You can get MDF circles in almost any size from Ebay/Amazon/craft shops. They won't support weight, but could be sandwiched between the plastic standard ceiling rose fitting and the ceiling.

Crabtree are the largest i have seen
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...iw=1707&bih=844&dpr=1.13#imgrc=D6dXre3gE0OnqM:

CB5855.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back