Standard Vanguard (beetleback)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

A family member has one of these from 1953. He bought it when it was 4 years old, and has kept it garaged ever since. I often look at it, and wonder how many there are left of these. Its black, with a brown leather (Proper leather) interior. Bench front seat, and flick up indicators.

has anyone seen any of these recently??

Sponsored Links
Saw one about 10 years ago parked in Blandford, also a superb Daimler Majestic Major driving through.

One of our neighbors had a new one in about 1950 when I was a kid, a few years later a customer of our TV shop had a diesel estate, the first diesel car I had seen, used a 2.0 litre Ferguson tractor engine, I thought it sounded lovely, it was fitted with an overdrive gearbox as the engine didn't do much over 2000 rpm. It promoted my interest in diesels and I converted a number of cars from 1959 onwards.

Peter

flick up indicators.

you mean trafficators old bean:

images

Sponsored Links
ah, them the fellers..............
the caravan i referred to was an Eccles. it was about 26 ft long on a single axle. I can imagine VOSA having a field day with this type of set up!!

thanks for the info!

They used to have the happy knack of sticking in the 'out' position on the A40 van I learnt to drive in, if you parked in a confined space and had to slide down the side of the van they could nearly take your ear off.

Peter

Hi everyone.I know this post is getting a bit long in the tooth but i thought i would add my story.My mate and i were called out to a broken down vanguard (beetle back) at the Alexandra Gardens in Weymouth.It was broken down and double parked so we got up there pretty fast, the keys were left in it so we were told,sure enough there were the keys we jumped in and it started first time, took it back to the workshop.
Within five minutes the police turned up as someone reported their Vanguard stolen.We had picked up the wrong Vanguard !!! when we went back up there,the correct Vanguard was there still broken down, double parked with the keys left in it and it was the exact same color.Even back in the 60s what were the chances of two Vanguards the same color being double parked with the keys in.
The police had a sense of humour failure though,and thought it was very serious,they came with us to take the wrong one back and came with us to bring the right one back to the workshop.We all split our sides laughing.

They used to have the happy knack of sticking in the 'out' position on the A40 van I learnt to drive in, if you parked in a confined space and had to slide down the side of the van they could nearly take your ear off.

Peter
You short arse :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back