Starter motor options...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The battery is ok, but sometimes th starter makes i scraping sound instead of turning the engine.
After a couple of goes it works.

Can i do anything to it or is it a new staryet and if so, where would the best place be to get one ?

Not sure about salvage yards as i could be buying a faulty one

Sponsored Links
First, pop the starter out and clean away all of the clutch dust that will have accumulated there. Use a solvent, dry fully and apply minimal lubrication to the mechanism, but lubricate the end bush.
Next, examine the drive pinion for wear - usually the teeth will be sharp if its worn.
The starter should spin reasonably freely.
Check that any alignment dowel is in place on the bellhousing - sometimes they drop out!
If you’re not satisfied after trying the thing again, a motor factor will sell you an exchange unit, but count the number of teeth first!
John :)

For such a critical item I’d fit a new/recon one, plenty of online places such as euro car parts etc or even a decent motor factors will help.

Sponsored Links
Next time it happens, without the engine running, put the car in gear and just push it a few inches or so and then take it out of gear and try again. If it works, you've probably got a broken or excessively worn tooth on the flywheel, and just moving the car in gear a bit, turns the flywheel to a different place (hopefully, with better teeth on)!

Back