Starter Motor overhaul kits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the starter on my 406 has become sluggish latley, the battery if fine, I have had it tested, and tried a different brand new battery (correct size) I did manage to douse the starter in deisel when the fuel filter leaked all over it, so Im thinking the deisel has washed away any grease on the bearings/shafts.

the car has done 96K, so I was thinking of pulling it apart to re-lube it and figured I might as well replace the bushes etc whilst im there.

thing is I can find brand new and re-con starters, but no overhaul kits around, do they just not exist any more, or do I need to search for the maker of the starter

Sponsored Links
Try a company called Halls Electrical you should find them on the web. They are based in Yate in Bristol but will help you out no probs.
http://www.hallselectrical.com

They might even do a courier collection and repair it for you or supply what ever you need?
Hope this helps ;)

firstly i would check all the earthing points, peugeots are renowned for have earthing problems, and would give the impression that the starter is sluggish, and will only cost you a bit of wet and dry to clean up the earthing points, a cheap place to start, i wouldn`t lube it up as this will heat up and potentially leak out onto the flywheel and clutch, causing you problems there, hope this helps.....

firstly i would check all the earthing points, peugeots are renowned for have earthing problems, and would give the impression that the starter is sluggish, and will only cost you a bit of wet and dry to clean up the earthing points, a cheap place to start, i wouldn`t lube it up as this will heat up and potentially leak out onto the flywheel and clutch, causing you problems there, hope this helps.....

I can safely say that if Diesel has entered the motor it is wasted. I had the same thing happen the Diesel line running over the starter on a Mondeo sprayed diesel all over the starter motor. I purchased another unit and stupidly put the front engine mounting back on before trying it i could not believe that it was totally useless. Took it back for another exchange unit perfect. But thats the chance you take by buying exchange units which i have very seldom had any problems with.

Sponsored Links
great, thanks.

I have already checked the earths, these have been off and cleaned recently for a new clutch anyway.
I will check the main power to the motor.

at least its in an easy place to get to if it is the starter, nice and on the front, I seem to remember my astra being on the bottom back of the engine, a pig to get at.

I have overhauled plenty of motors, so just thought it might be cheaper to do it myself rather than get an exchange unit.

Back