Starting Bricky Labourer job. Need help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been registered with an agency for a while and they've got me a job for a bricky labourer on a new house build site. I've been a labourer before but never for a bricky. I'm 28 bored as sh!t with no job, want to get fitter, have my own car etc.
What will this job have me doing all day?
Do you get a couple mins to get your breath back if its hard going?!!

I've always thought about becoming a bricklayer as the pay is good and you travel everywhere and can even take skills to another country in the future.
Would rather ask stupid stuff here than go into the job an idiot!

Sponsored Links
From my observations a labourer will be kept busy mixing mortar for two good brickies.

Blup

I'm going to guess it's fairly hard work so you'll get fit without having to join a gym

Sponsored Links
I've been registered with an agency for a while and they've got me a job for a bricky labourer on a new house build site. I've been a labourer before but never for a bricky. I'm 28 bored as sh!t with no job, want to get fitter, have my own car etc.
What will this job have me doing all day?
Do you get a couple mins to get your breath back if its hard going?!!

!
New build you will get the muck in tubs from a mechanical loader, carry it to the spot boards for the guys. Same for bricks, get them off pallets - mix them up as you load your hod so there's not bands of same colour. Expect the guys to shout at you . Sometimes it's banter others are just miserable bastards. Get all your PPE - and a hod and shovel. If you can find a used hod and shovel it'll look like you've done a bit before. Keep your shovel clean - I've never seen such cclegged up shovels as nowadays ! A clean shovel works much better and saves your energy. As said, keep your phone off or silent and out of sight until break times. Aim to learn how the work is going so you end up anticipating what is needed where. Do not climb a ladder carrying bricks ! That went out years ago ;) There will be an induction when you start. Good Luck.

Back