steel beam bowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the brickies have started loading out steel beams over patio opening on friday was in the garden today a look a bit off to the eye so measured this with a lazer level and tape and it would appear at the mid point its 20mm lower that the ends but only on the welded flat plate section not the UB thats level all the way through. Is this a build issue or a structural calculation problem?

beam.jpg

sketch.png

Sponsored Links
The beam should be propped.

Blocks should be half bonded.

Wouldn't surprise me if there was meant to be brickwork 'arching' above that beam externally.

Crap builders.

I cant see the top of the steel protruding above those blocks. I'd have expected to see something about 350mm+ deep spanning that opening.

the brickies have started loading out steel beams over patio opening on friday was in the garden today a look a bit off to the eye so measured this with a lazer level and tape and it would appear at the mid point its 20mm lower that the ends but only on the welded flat plate section not the UB thats level all the way through. Is this a build issue or a structural calculation problem?

View attachment 283498
View attachment 283499
Don't sneeze. Sack the builders. Sack the SE. (see above).

Sponsored Links
4 course of block above beam are required, might have to put a central pier in to stop the sag now not what we wanted but might rectifiy problem.

4 course of block above beam are required, might have to put a central pier in to stop the sag now not what we wanted but might rectifiy problem.
Unless you are going to build the roof out of feathers then yes you are going to need to make adjustments.

The beam should be propped
You don't need to prop beams, as they do not rely on the masonry immediately above it like common steel lintels do.

A steel beam is designed to limit state, ie to support its design load without flexing.

You don't need to prop beams, as they do not rely on the masonry immediately above it like common steel lintels do.

A steel beam is designed to limit state, ie to support its design load without flexing.
Clearly that one isn't.

Are you not surprised by the (lack of) depth to the beam Woods?

Those returns! No steel posts?

You need to check and confirm that
- the calculations are correct and done by a qualified person, and checked/passed by the building inspector
- the builder has installed the approved beam
- the beam is welded correctly with the correct size plate

Clearly that one isn't.

Are you not surprised by the (lack of) depth to the beam Woods?
It seems a bit light or thin more than lack of depth.

We'll have to wait until Isambard pops his head in.

I'm surprised that whoever has designed that has managed to get a 7.5m opening to work using a UB section.
I'd expect a hollow section like an RHS would be needed due to the torsion from the outer leaf - probably why its started to rotate...

will speak with structural tomorrow beam is UB254x102x22 with an 8mm welded bottom plate looks like the plate that is rotating only a beam has no flex really dont want too add a mid point post if i can help it. just measure ed of beam and looks like builders have installed correct beam.

returns are 900mm no posts woody, flat rood only carried on internal leaf of beam external 900mm of parapet block wok

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back