Steel columns and beams

Want to tell the S/Es who specify this, then? We install to their written instructions, prepared drawings and GAs

BTW, ever tried fixing plasterboard to. Itself?
The SE is wrong, plain and simple, it was all fine and dandy pre-Grenfell, an it'll do attitude sufficed, not any more.

When timber battens are fitted to steel beams, in the event of a fire the timber behaves differently to the steel, it bows and bends and expands at a different rate, the metal fixings heat up and can char the timber where its screwed in losing their grip and consequently the boards can simply fall off or come away from the steel.

When I say plasterboard (which as mentioned should not be used on it's own) I'm referring to Glasroc Firecase boards which can be screwed to itself.

Sponsored Links
I cannot do anything about the ceiling beams as they are surrounded by timbers from all sides.

Ridge beams too, full of rafters and noggins etc.

Steel columns embedded into the blockwork and just need to box in whatever shows - again with PB supported on battens on the wall and noggins inside the web. If I am not allowed to place timbers on these columns, then what about the rest of the structure?

I cannot do anything about the ceiling beams as they are surrounded by timbers from all sides.

Ridge beams too, full of rafters and noggins etc.

Steel columns embedded into the blockwork and just need to box in whatever shows - again with PB supported on battens on the wall and noggins inside the web. If I am not allowed to place timbers on these columns, then what about the rest of the structure?
What do you mean 'rest of the structure'?

I meant there are about 50 beams inside the ceilings and at the roof, literally embedded in timbers. Having to avoid using noggins/soldiers on 6 columns at the ground floor seems to me futile (deckchairs Titanic).

Sponsored Links
I meant there are about 50 beams inside the ceilings and at the roof, literally embedded in timbers. Having to avoid using noggins/soldiers on 6 columns at the ground floor seems to me futile (deckchairs Titanic).
These are ordinary timber for/ceiling joists within the ceiling you're talking about presumably?

Why are there 50 beams in the ceiling/roof? That's a pretty unusual construction.

As for your ground floor beams; I would simply box around them with 15mm fireline board. Personally, I would think noggins would be acceptable in most cases but it's also a fairly simple job with steel column clips. Just make sure you get the right sizes for the column flanges.

Where beams are built into masonry - i.e with just the face visible - we use fireline board, dot and dab, across the face overlapping by 500mm each side + fire rated foam along the flange.

PS. don't box steel beams or columns with standard board. You might end up doing them again.

These are ordinary timber for/ceiling joists within the ceiling you're talking about presumably?
Yes, there are loads of joists, noggins and plywood in, on and over those steel beams, and probably plywood underneath too. At the loft again tons of rafters, timber plates, noggins, soldiers, all embedded into the steels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back