Steel for extension question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just need some advice.

I have just cut out a 3.4m section of the back wall of my house to take two 203x103 UB.

Once in I will not be able to access the inside as they are at joist level and right up against a joist (joists parallel with beam). Do they need any form of fire protection or anything.

I don't want to cement them in and get asked by BCO "what fire protection did you use"

Sponsored Links
when we opened up a back wall and fitted a steel I beam the joists sat in the web all we done was bricked up round the joists and used fire board anywhere the steels were open.

You don't need to protect beams within the floor void

The BCO will normally want to see the beam in-situ to check it and the bearing or restraint at the bearing before covering it up

Sponsored Links
You don't need to protect beams within the floor void

The BCO will normally want to see the beam in-situ to check it and the bearing or restraint at the bearing before covering it up

Thanks for that woody.

Yes BCO wants to see it before I cover it up which is why I don't want her asking for fire protection as I wont be able to retro fit it. She will only be able to see it from the outside but she will be able to see the bearing and the SE has said no pad stone needed.

going on british gypsom white book you dont get any burn time from fire board its the system behind it that got the burn time fire board has no burn time at all. And thats said by BG

Yes, but the ceiling may only be 3/8" plasterboard which is not 30 mins.
(or lath-and-plaster which is unknown).

How likely is a 3/8 ceiling?

Anyway, there is no point in protecting the steel more than the floor, if the ceiling is lath and plaster then a 12.5 board will go back in , or a 9.5mm with additional plaster skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back