Steel rsj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an rsj put in the bedroom as it's supporting the chimney above and as a result it's going to be slightly lower than the ceiling. I am going to have it boxed in and wondered is it possible to have spot lights put in the boxing. Do you have to make the boxing deeper to make a void to fit the spotlights in.
Thanks lee

Sponsored Links
Assuming its wide enough you can just use battens or similar on the underside of the beam to create a void.

Why does the beam need to be lower than the ceiling. Can't it go in any higher?

The fire protection tot he beam is important, and if you fit spotlights, then you should ensure that the 1/2 hour or 1 hour fire integrity is maintained

If the beam isn't supporting a floor then it's unlikely to need fire protection. Leave enough room around the spotlights to allow for heat build up to the light and any transformer, e.g. a good 100-150mm clearance to the sides and above should be sufficient.

Sponsored Links
It's a good idea for any structural beam to have fire resistance for property protection, however it's generally only required when it supports a floor to allow time for occupants on that floor to escape.

Just a "good idea" to have fire resistance? :rolleyes:

What about disproportionate collapse - ie when the OP has legged it out and then the beam fails and it causes the stack to drop (through the first floor), which also pulls the gable wall to the neighbouring property with it, and lets the fire spread into the bargain?

Any supporting beam, in any part of the house needs adequate fire protection, not just if it is holding up a floor

I'd say it's a 'very good idea' to have fire resistance to guard against that very specific occurrence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back