Stepped on tape measure, tape broken in two

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a reliable method of repairing a tape measure (Stanley 3m/10ft) where the tape was stepped on and the tape has broken in two?

Sponsored Links
You buy either a new tape measure or a new tape inner (which will be a pain to fit so go with a complete new unit)

I know we live in a throw away society but I like to repair where possible rather than add something to the land fill site which already has plenty of broken tape measures.

Sponsored Links
there is no repair kit available
so you enginuity is required keeping in mind your restricted to a flexible repair adding no more than perhaps 0.5-1mm to the tape thickness and must be as flexible as the tape its self so yo are limited to perhaps 2 layers off quality selotape each surface that may only last for a few uses
you also need to exactly match the ends for the length to be accurate and each bit must be exactly in line or the tape wont retract very far but just jamb

Use a piece of old broken tape measure to join the two bits of broken tape measure - oh wait!!

You probably don't have any broken tape measures...

(Buy a new one)

Add to land fill???? Don't be daft! This is the year 2014, are you aware of the huge range of recycling facilities available at your local tip? Metal goes in the metal bin, plastic goes in the hard plastic bin.

(Whether some of that then ends up in land fill is another thing, but you give it the best chance)

Nozzle

Stick it on ebay, dem internet folks will buy anything..

whilst its obvious to us we should applaud john9159 for at least asking
his motives are correct how is he supposed to know its doomed to fail quite quickly :D

ive had my tape measure for over 30 years,
ive only replaced the inner 6 times and the casing 10.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back