your favourite tape measure-recomendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i want a new tape measure as my three are worn, was wondering, what tapes do everyone else use?

i personally quite like the look of the stanley teflon coated ones, look nice and clear :)

tom

Sponsored Links
Depends what they are being used for?
I don't mind the cheap and cheerful ones, as they generally end up in someone elses pocket/tool box. So don't really spend a great deal on tape measures.

used to regular buy the stanley tapes but now as i go through them every 3 months i just have the cheapo makes,but i do make sure they are at least 1 " blade and the end has at least 3 rivets on it.

Sponsored Links
I'm with gregers on this. I bought one Stanley FatMax. Great tape, easy to read etc, then managed to get it caught on a door frame. Result?? bent to f**k. Shame it was only a couple of weeks old. Now I just buy cheap ones from B&Q , Wickes etc. Do the same thing as the more expensive ones.

If I'm doing something that requires greater accuracy (like the guitars I build) I use a stainless steel rule. Got 1 x 300mm, 1x 600mm and 1x 1200mm. Great for straight edges too. ;) ;)

Fastcap Pro-tape, got one from Isaac Lord. You can write on it, it's flat, not curved and has a blank front to make notes on! Excellent.

I've got a 5m Stanley one that is nice and solid, also an Advent inside measuring one that seems be the most useful inside cupboards, wardrobes and the like.

Stanley tapes will stand up to the rigours of outside work better than any other. Most cheap brands will instantly rust up as soon as the tape is dragged along a wet joist or rafter.

Gimmicky tape measures are also pants especially those that require you to push a button to allow them to return.

The pocket clips on cheapo tapes are also prone to failure as the screw loosens and the clip twists.

Finally, cheap tapes will also often fail when they are extended to the max as the return spring fails and you end up with a bunch of metal tape wandering all over the site.

Stanley Fatmax XL 8m - amazing stand out distance before buckling. But a bit bulky

I also have a brilliant Fisco tape, not sure of the model or even if they are still available, but it has built in replaceable lead and is great for marking timber and plasterboard

And the Fisco Brick tape with all gauge and lengths for setting out :cool:

Don't forget to have a few cheap loaners for when you don't trust your mate with your good tapes - like when he kinks, splits , breaks the end off or runs it out through mud and rain :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back