Steps to refurb floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I’m planning on sanding and re-oiling/lacquering my living room floor. It's not in a bad condition but looks like it could do with a good touch up after moving in and plastering etc.
I was just looking for some advice on coating and sanding.
My plan is to sand the top layer of which looks like it has been lacquered previously with a coarse grit. Apply some wood sealer, then sand again with medium grit. Apply a Matt lacquer, sand with a low grit and then apply a 2nd layer of lacquer.
Just a few questions
Is this overkill on the sanding?
Do I need both sealer and a lacquer?
Do I need 2 coats of lacquer if I have a sealer already on.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I've sanded floors before with 80grit belt sander, orbital also on 80 and finish on a 120g again, on the orbital.

Then applied one coat of fiddes hard wax oil, in matt, allow to dry, gently go over with scotch pad, and apply a second coat of wax oil.

You can buff or not the second coat (I didn't) the result if brilliant.

A 2.5 L can did 55sq m twice, with some left.

Hope his helps.

I've sanded floors before with 80grit belt sander, orbital also on 80 and finish on a 120g again, on the orbital.

Then applied one coat of fiddes hard wax oil, in matt, allow to dry, gently go over with scotch pad, and apply a second coat of wax oil.

You can buff or not the second coat (I didn't) the result if brilliant.

A 2.5 L can did 55sq m twice, with some left.

Hope his helps.

Thanks for the info,

I’ve tested a small area, the thing is my flooring has already been fully sanded down previously and then lacquered so all I’m wanting to do is just get rid of some stains/scratches. I tried a really small patch with a belt sander on 80 and it just seemed to scratch it. I then used a mouse sander on 120 and it takes a bit off but would take forever. Just wondering if the belt sander might be a bit much or wether just to try it on 129?
I’ll attach some screenshots of my floor.
The close up shows the 80 grit mark.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 256
Sponsored Links
Try a finer belt on the belt sander, if you want to speed it up.

A random orbital sander would be quicker than the mouse sander, but if you've not got one, you'll have to use what you have.

The floor looks in pretty good condition, just don't press too hard with the belt sander.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back