Sticking Plasterboard on Damp Proof Membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be renovating my outhouse and turning it into a bar/reception area. Thinking about putting plasterboard on the walls (concrete) using plasterboard adhesive but I just wanted to know if I can stick it on the wall once it's been painted with damp proof membrane? Also need some advice with sticking plasterboard on the wall in general. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks,
Tom.

Sponsored Links
Me again!
You can stick plasterboard to walls using adhesive dot and dabbed.....but you'd be better off using Handiboard or similar which isn't affected by damp.
Personally I'd fix horizontal timber laths to the wall, insulate between them and then fix the Handiboard.
John :)

If you are going to put plasterboard on damp walls you could use poly/backed plaster board that would keep the damp at bay if done correctly..

Me again!
You can stick plasterboard to walls using adhesive dot and dabbed.....but you'd be better off using Handiboard or similar which isn't affected by damp.
Personally I'd fix horizontal timber laths to the wall, insulate between them and then fix the Handiboard.
Thanks for the replies. The outhouse is quite small and I want to try and make the most of the available space. Would it be better for me to use dot and dab as obviously using joists would extend the wall.
Thanks,
Tom.

Sponsored Links
Certainly, this would maximise your internal space. Care is needed when butting the sheets together that you don't get a step though!

Certainly, this would maximise your internal space. Care is needed when butting the sheets together that you don't get a step though!
Yeah I will try my best to make sure it's all flush. Just have to be careful with the amount of adhesive i'm using.

Lots of small dots ,put your level up and across the wall to check level if it is way out put bigger dots in that area, get yourself a nice firm piece of wood (3"x2") to tap your boards to the wall remembering where the high spots are and check your level as you go.

Are you painting on a "damp proofing membrane" because of current damp issues? Who advised this course of action?

Outhouses traditionally were one brick walls, and a thin layer of floor concrete on earth, with a lean-to slate roof.

Are you painting on a "damp proofing membrane" because of current damp issues? Who advised this course of action?

Outhouses traditionally were one brick walls, and a thin layer of floor concrete on earth, with a lean-to slate roof.
Yes ree this is pretty much an exact description of my outhouse. I wouldn't say there is a major concern when it comes to damp but if it's cold and wet outside it can get quite musky in there. Just thought it would be better to keep the wood (as I'm building a suspended floor) as safe as possible and obviously to protect the plasterboard if any damp does get in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back