Stihl Leafblower stops running just in time for autumn!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a battered old BR400 I was given. After 2 years in a garage it started on the 3rd pull and has worked very reliably all summer, no need to have the throttle open or anything.

Now as soon as the leaves have started piling up, it's gotten awkward. It took ages to start the other day, and sounded on idle like it wanted to quit. Today, I got it going but on minimum throttle it stopped after 10s a couple of times, then refused to start again.

Immediate issue: does that just sound like I flooded it, or something else?
Longer term: is this just the colder weather making it harder to run, or do I need to get it serviced?

Sponsored Links
Every time I had a problem with a small engine it's been caused by lack of oil. Ensure mix is correct.

Every time I had a problem with a small engine it's been caused by lack of oil. Ensure mix is correct.
It should be... I bought those 1-shot things, and mixed one into a 5L jerrycan to avoid these kind of issues :)

Sponsored Links
Et voila! Cheers Andy for the vote of confidence :D
The BR is a professional back pack blower, and so long as it has compression it will be a goer.
Time for a carb clean I think, but first arm yourself with a new plug (NGK BPMR7A - the short fatty one).
If you think the engine is flooded, take the plug out, point the plug hole downwards and pull the start cord...you may get a spray of fuel if it's flooded and no way will the engine start if this is the case.
You'll need an aerosol of carb cleaner if you want to delve inside, and on an elderly machine you'll need the diaphragm / gasket set as they are sure to split.
Ebay will get you a replacement carb for the £20 quid mark though.
John :)

Did you measure 5litres of petrol? a full 5ltr can hold slightly more and would give a lean mix, [I aim closer to 40-1 even if 50-1 is specified.]

Et voila! Cheers Andy for the vote of confidence :D
The BR is a professional back pack blower, and so long as it has compression it will be a goer.
Time for a carb clean I think, but first arm yourself with a new plug (NGK BPMR7A - the short fatty one).
If you think the engine is flooded, take the plug out, point the plug hole downwards and pull the start cord...you may get a spray of fuel if it's flooded and no way will the engine start if this is the case.
You'll need an aerosol of carb cleaner if you want to delve inside, and on an elderly machine you'll need the diaphragm / gasket set as they are sure to split.
Ebay will get you a replacement carb for the £20 quid mark though.
Cheers John. About it starting but not wanting to run on idle, when a few weeks ago it was fine... does that suggest a specific issue, or could it simply be the colder weather highlighting something?
I am such an ignoramus about these things, I don't even know how to tell if it IS flooded! If it runs a few seconds then dies, could that leave it flooded? Or can this only happen if I over-choke it when preparing to start?

Given the age and fact it spent a long while in storage in unknown state, I think having it serviced is worthwhile - and I don't have the time or inclination. Do I need a Stihl dealer or is this simply a case of "find someone handy with engines and things" and they'll know what to do?

Inside the carb is a very fine filter.....notorious for blocking with the usual grot or simply the deposits from old fuel - which turns waxy.
If the engine starts, it isn't flooded - more likely it's a fuel starvation issue.
As for the servicing, I'd hunt someone down that knows Stihl machines if you can - but we all claim to be expert, of course :mrgreen:
The first thing the guy will do is to pop the exhaust pipe off if he suspects a compression issue - vital on a two stroke engine- and take it from there. Personally I reckon one hours graft should sort it.

If it's a tool you use infrequently, try Aspen 2 in it rather than petrol. It's great stuff, a bit more expensive than petrol but much cheaper than a deep service due to a blocked carb. I've got a generator I don't use very much, took it out the other day for the first time in about 2 years, it had been left full of Aspen and started first pull

Never heard of that, could be worth it as it's really likely to only be autumn it gets frequent use.

Well it does have the oil pre-mixed - I bought the Stihl one-shots and they're £1.65 each for 5L of petrol.

But anyway I bought 5L of petrol and mixed it up in the summer... I'm just coming to the end of it now. In terms of cost of petrol per hour's use is it really significant? For my leaf blower I doubt it, for heavy users maybe.

3.5 times more expensive than petrol is hardly, a bit more expensive?
I use over 50 ltrs of juice cutting firewood and keeping the grass and hedges cut:eek:
http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/aspen-2-stroke-petrol-mix-5-litre.html#SID=4750
litl
I don't think you count as an intermittent/light user in that case then do you? Although it is supposed to have health benefits for heavier users as the exhaust is far less toxic, and you get fewer combustion deposits in the engine too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back