Stihl Leafblower stops running just in time for autumn!

It should be... I bought those 1-shot things, and mixed one into a 5L jerrycan to avoid these kind of issues :)

Surely that's too much mix for an occasional user, because the mix goes stale.

I bought a mixing bottle that does about one litre at a time. Also when I got my saw the guy in the shop said the secret with 2 strokes is you must always run the engine dry. When you finish your task, empty the fuel and run it till it stops. My saw (stihl) is 30 years old and leafblower (makita) about 15 years, never been serviced and start 1st or 2nd pull.

Sponsored Links
In what way does it go stale? What actually happens and how long will pre-mixed fuel last?

I definitely heard the advice to run dry before storing over-winter but not between uses, I'd waste 80% of the fuel!

Your pre mixed fuel will last a year or more. Aspen fuel is good for three years at least. Aspen comes as an unleaded fuel, or a pre mixed fuel for the two stroke.
If traditional fuel is left in the machine, eventually it may wax, and the internal rubber parts (diaphragms etc) will deteriorate. Aspen fuel does not do this, but expect to pay around £20 per 5 litres. An average carburettor has two diaphragms and a gasket on one side of them.
Stale fuel has a smell that is completely unlike fresh stuff.
Running the machine until the fuel runs out is an excellent idea - four stroke or two.
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back