Why won't my new chainsaw just work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I deliberately bought Stihl after watching countless videos of people pulling their saw out of a ditch where it had sat all winter, and started first time.

Mine has never done this and is still virtually new. The damn thing just won't idle. I've adjusted the idle speed multiple turns and no luck. I've cleaned things and it's only had maybe an hour's use total.

What gives? Getting seriously ****ed off now that every 2min job takes 20min to get started, and supposedly premium tools are no good

Sponsored Links
Should I just take it to the dealer for a checkup?

Sponsored Links
Go through your starting technique for me, step by step, will you?
John :)

If the OP has bought it from a Stihl dealership (they don't sell direct) they normally take you through the saws operation?

You would hope so.....!
Some people insist on trying to start the thing with the chain brake on - absolutely no chance.

It always starts fine in the special startup mode, only when you drop to normal idle does it struggle.
After a little use it's fine but when first starting, you can't get to the throttle fast enough before it dies.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but should the idle adjuster normally be adjusted mid use is once it warms up?

IIRC I'm sure the official advice is you have the brake on otherwise you have a live saw at high speed when cold starting. But I've seen people say this is bad as the clutch cannot take the strain, so some mixed messages there

Today I got it going but once it was warm, the idle was so high the chain was moving. It's like the idle speed was slowly increasing as it warmed up.

Today I got it going but once it was warm, the idle was so high the chain was moving. It's like the idle speed was slowly increasing as it warmed up.

Go back to the dealership from where you bought it is the best advice I feel.

The saw won't start from cold with the chain brake on. It probably will once hot.
Anyway.....here goes! (I guess this is an MS saw, 180, 171 or whatever?)
Chain brake OFF
Squeeze the throttle trigger and apply full choke. Don't touch the throttle trigger at all.
Put the machine on the deck, trap it with your right heel through the handle. Left hand on the plastic machine top and pull the recoil starter very briskly (maybe 3 pulls per second!!)
After a few pulls the saw will 'pop', maybe run for a second or two, even.
Remove the choke with the lever onto the next, full throttle setting. Do NOT touch the throttle trigger.
Pull the recoil again and the saw should scream into life. Keep the saw revving up and down with the throttle trigger. It will not idle for 20 sec or thereabouts so don't be attempted to try it.
After those 20 sec, the saw should idle, but if its very cold it may take longer.
If the blade is still rotating, the idle speed is too high. Adjust the idle speed until the blade just stops - no more.

(If the chain brake is on, its like trying to push start your car with the brakes on!)
Once the saw has been run a bit and then stopped, only try to restart on Full throttle. If it has chilled, you may need choke again, but for only one pull.
Have fun!

You can buy the things anywhere.....no advice given from Aldi, B&Q or whatever - you're on your own there.

True, but not Stihl (well new ones at least) I swear the dealer I bought mine from didn't want to sell it to me, felt more like a narcotics deal !!

The theory is -at least regarding Stihl and Husqvarna - if you buy over the counter, they will give you a course of instruction (whatever that means) if they determine that you are inexperienced.
However, if they choose to supply mail order, that's up to them......
I don't suppose there's much more that can be done, really - second hand saws are readily available and any make is particularly adept at removing a leg :eek:

The theory is -at least regarding Stihl and Husqvarna - if you buy over the counter, they will give you a course of instruction (whatever that means) if they determine that you are inexperienced.
However, if they choose to supply mail order, that's up to them......
I don't suppose there's much more that can be done, really - second hand saws are readily available and any make is particularly adept at removing a leg :eek:

I guess, I must have looked like a Muppet then, I suppose you could confuse being fully aware of its lethality with complacency..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back