Stiles and rails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a made to measure door to fit an unusual opening, but am being quoted silly prices. I'm happy to make my own, but cannot find a supplier of pre-machined softwood rails or stiles. Does anyone know of any suppliers out there? Or do all joiners just buy normal PAR and machine their own? I'm looking for something 2" x 4" nominal for the stiles and top rails, and maybe 2 x 8" for the middle and lower rails, Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
if when ive done this i buy the size of timber close to what i required then machine it to correct sizes the machine as required.

I did consider this but I've only got fairly basic router, and I haven't got a great setup fpr managing 2m lengths like that. Are these really not available anywhere??

Cheers

well if its only a basic moulding you require then i see no problem with being able to do this your self,i mostly use a 1/4 inch router and have done this with no probs at all,you could even make the door before hand using just the planed to size timber then put the moulding on afterwards it can be done.
so in essence if you own a decent clamping device i:e workmate then take your time.

Sponsored Links
you can use a door set off cutters for a table mounted 1/2" router
you can use mortice and tennons a basic router set and a couple off gouges

or alternativley you can dry assemble your un moulded frame router the inside edges to look good including unusual rounded corners
then router the panel slots or two passes on a table saw

I need a made to measure door to fit an unusual opening, but am being quoted silly prices.
Out of interest, when you want a hand-made item built to order by a skilled craftsman, what is a silly price?

Just thought I'd post an update. Now have perfectly acceptable shed door, machined by me from 4x2 and 8x2 timber. Took a little longer than expected, but thanks to gregers for suggesting it was possible, all it took was bit of confidence.

One learning was that my Black & Decker 1/4" router was not really up to the task. For a start I could only get router bits to cut the mortices with 1/2" shanks, so I ended up hiring a Hitachi router. Boy what a difference that made! For a start the thing was just so much better made, and the motor (2000W vs 450W) just made all the cutting like a knife through butter. Lesson: next time I need to buy a power tool I'll be looking in the semi-pro category rather than the DIY section. Bit more money but well worth it.

John D: Good point you made there. But given that this is only a shed door I didn;t really want to spend that much on it. In the end the timber cost me £27 and the router hire £14, which compared to the £2-300 I was being quoted seemed a bargain. Had it been my front door then that would have been well worth spending but just for a shed? In the end, I gained quite a bit of understanding why it they would have quoted that - the size of the door is almost irrelevant to the time it takes to make.

But hey, it got me back into trying something myself and gaining some confidence into the bargain. I made a few mistakes along the way, but thats the only way to learn. And next time I need something built that needs a bit more quality then I'll happily stump up for someone else to make it!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back