Stone chippings on a flat felt roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this type of roof laid about 20 years ago, but each year since, I have had to get up on the roof and scoop out of the gutters about one carrier bag full of stone chippings that have blown into them.

Is there a way of stopping this from happening or is there a permanent solution ?

Sponsored Links
if you put some type of barier it will stop them, but all that it will do is collect the chippings there, so instead of cleaning out the gutter you will have to clean up the barrier.

only thought is stick them down.

They should be cold bonded to the felt, which will stop so many being washed away.

It may be possible to do now, but at 20 years old you have had your monies worth and it may be time for refelting

^woody^: Do you know what is the best solution for a flat roof?
I have seen some that are painted with a shiny silver coating - is that any good ?

If I'm going to have a new roof, I don't like the idea of putting felt on again, so what would you or anyone say is my best choice, regardless of cost ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
dave220 said:
If I'm going to have a new roof, I don't like the idea of putting felt on again, so what would you or anyone say is my best choice, regardless of cost ?

Thanks
A low pitch roof with tiles :D

dave220 said:
^woody^: I have seen some that are painted with a shiny silver coating - is that any good ?

Thanks

building control in staffs insist on having chippings on the three layer felt system. will not allow silver paint method.

agree with masona, go for a tiled pitched roof, but be wary of the boys at planning. it may be contentious with the neighbours.

I like masona's slogan. True and easy for everyone to assess.

Agree that a pitched roof is a good option - if technically possible. If not and it must be a flat roof, re-cover with a three layer system but finish with a mineral cap sheet - usually green or red.

If BC kick up tell them to get lost. They have no authority to dictate what materials you use.

they do re. bricks in E. Sussex :rolleyes: my M8 had a :evil: of a job getting them to agree matching stocks on a cottage in the stix

You're not thinking of planning are you? Planners can dictate what material finishes you use. But this is building regulations we are discussing here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back