Stonemarket - Rio Paving....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience with Stonemarkets' Rio Paving ?

http://www.stonemarket.co.uk/rio_paving.asp

My mrs has picked it for our patio and I like the look of it, but it says it's laid like block paving - basically onto screeded sharp sand ?

I wondered if it's likely to be as straightforward to lay as it sounds?

Thanks in advance for your comments......

Sponsored Links
You'll also have spotted this from that page:

Rio Paving is usually laid on a flexible base with 3mm sanded joints. It can also be laid on mortar with wider, mortar pointed joints if preferred.

So, lay it on mortar.

Clue was in the question.

Thanks for that - the thought had occured to me...

However, I just wondered if anyone had any experience with laying them the 'usual' way - 'on a flexible base with 3mm sanded joints'. a) cus I like the look of them that way, and b) cus it means I wouldn't need to hire a cement mixer etc and c) it just sounded easier and I err naturally to being a bit of a lazy git!

ive laid the marshalls one which is similar on a flexible bed, much better on a mortar bed though. you can still lay with the close joints and fill with teh sand. As me and Wabbitpoo always say, the time you spend laying it once, get it right and it will last. Lay it on a bed of mortar. doesnt take much longer or much more effort to lay that way.

How much are you spending on the paving? dont skimp on the laying

Sponsored Links
block paving is compacted into the sand using a wacker plate, and has kiln dried sand vibrated deep into the joints.

all in all a very stable end product.

i have never had much faith however, with a slab that is laid loosely onto a sand only substrate. any end slabs, that aren't restrained by a neighbouring slab, can be kicked loose.

all in all very amateurish.

bed them on sand and cement, joint them with mortar too, unless you want to be pulling weeds out of the cracks in a couple of years time.

ha ha ha. how did i know we would say the same thing! :LOL:

(go back to your rough old building section!) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back