Storage Heater not working

img0165smallao2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cheers Steve!

So if I make sure that I've turned the electric off at the switch on the wall outside the bathroom..and then check for the switch where you've shown me. BRILLIANT!! Many many thanks! I'll have to pop over there either later this evening or tomorrow and will update you then! x

Do you have a multimeter?
Switch off the supply to the heater before removing any covers.
If so, can you set it to ohms and measure across the two pins on the thermal cutout? If it hasn't tripped it will read about 0 ohms.
Can you measure the resistance across the element too? The element will be connected to the ceramic terminal block at the botton. This won't measure zero ohms, it may be anywhere from a few hundred down to 60 ohms.

Sponsored Links
:eek: I can bake a cake..... and turn the oven on..thats as far as my electrical knowledge goes I'm afraid :LOL:

;) However, neighbours young lad is a dab hand - completely rewired their house when he was about 16! ..but had no idea about storage heaters. He tested it and said that electric was getting right through to it though...I'll copy what you've just written - he's sure to understand what you're saying ;)

Update so far! Continuing saga of storage heater!

Have talked this over to son via phone! Yes...he could see that the right hand lever thingie was up! He eventually found a screwdriver :rolleyes: and took the metal cover thing off.. I told him to GENTLY push the lever back down again...but he says it won't stay....a lip in the way? ((shrug)). I didn't want him to be too heavy handed so I said I'd report back here pronto.....and would call in myself tomorrow morning.

storage heater? bathroom/wet room? pardon my ignorance but is this allowed now?
sorry to deviate and yes they do have resettable thermal trip as everyone else says.

The plot thickens ;)

Talked son through it..and just rung him again. He has got the diagram up on his pc of page 4 of the PDF. He says yes...his is EXACTLY the same..but the other way round (shrug)...but he says there doesn't seem to be anything to keep it down once he pushes that lever thing...he pushes it..and it just comes back up again. Help! So near...yet so far!
Many thanks for all your help! x

they only go with a small click and once reset will give the symptoms you describe. i suspect you already reset it without realising and are now trying to reset something that doesent need it.
failing that, the bi metallic strip that actuates it has become so hot its now flexible instead of being "springy" and isnt latching in its normally closed position.

:confused: Hmmm so should I tell him to switch the main switch down and see if it 'works' tomorrow??

is it on economy 7, or timer, or what? is there a neon light on the switch / spur?

:eek: I think it is something like Economy 7. ...but cheaper tariff? I can find out tomorrow..but I do know that the daughter who sold us the house told him NOT to change the tariff over as they no longer do it and its a very good, cheap one. It has a 'boost' in the afternoon.....sorry..I'm really not up to scratch with storage heaters :(

Do you have a multimeter?
Switch off the supply to the heater before removing any covers.
If so, can you set it to ohms and measure across the two pins on the thermal cutout? If it hasn't tripped it will read about 0 ohms.

That is what you should try to get done.

Your friend who checked the power.
would he know how to check continuity from the incoming terminals, right through to the element connection you showed in your photo

Yes...I'm sure he would. Best to wait until the w.end and see if he can come and check this first? Or do you think it might be ok to put the switch down..and see if it heats up?

If you think he may have reset it already, and not damaged it.
Then refit the covers and try it.

If it dont work.
Get your friend to isolate it and check continuity,
With the power off
You should get continuity from the incoming brown flex through the cut out, through the element and back to the blue incoming flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back