Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im new to this and hope this is the right place to post this.

I currently have a house with Dimplex storage heaters that are about 15/20 years old. I'm not sure they are working as efficiently now because of their age so looking at replacing them with new ones.

I first want to replace the lounge and entrance hallway with ones with fans as well to see if this make a difference before replacing the rest (7 in total).

My first question is: I have seen Creda ones that seem much better and look more efficient from the write ups. Can I mix a different make on the same circuit as the Dimplex or must I replace the odd heater with the same make?

My second question is: If I have to replace all heaters with the same make do I need to replace any electrics in the house to replace them with the Creda make or can I simply re-wire the new make on the existing circuit?

Any other information relating to replacing storage heaters would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally the heaters each have their own circuit and distribution board.

By and large you can replace them with whatever you choose, different brands all do the same basic job, only thing to bw aware of is a combi heater (with fan or panel) will require a standard domestic supply eg from a ring, as well as the timed off peak supply.

If the heaters aren't working right it may be worth having them looked at- maybe a few new elements, if they're slimline heaters (6" or so deep) there's not much difference between them and new items, technologically speaking.

If you are replacing on a like for like (KW) rating there shouldn't be much of an issue with the existing wiring, the only problem will be for the fan heater as the existing supply will only be on off peak so another permanent supply will also be required.

Thanks for the responses.

The storage heaters i am looking at that have fans use the heat that has been generated in the night.

Do I still need a different electric supply for this?

I assumed the fans electrics would come through the same supply.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The fans will need their own "permanent" supply if you want the fans to work during the day. If you connected the fans to the off peak supply then they would only work at night whilst the off peak supply is active.
The storage heater side still connects into the off peak supply.

Don't forget, as these heaters have 2 supplies, they require special isolators

5257%20whi.jpg

Oh! I never thought of that about the electric supply and the fan! That's a great help but also created another problem!

Ok, hopefully one final question, in my lounge I have 1 storage heater and on the other side of the room a socket where a storage heater can be connected (not sure if one was ever in the position but the lounge really needs 2 heaters due it's size).

Can I just connect an extra storage heater in this position? This would help as theres a normal electric supply socket close by also, unlike the other heater!

Or two questions! In my fuse box there are 6 large fuses and 1 small fuse (I assume for the 7 heaters I have?). Do I need to add a fuse to the space left in this fuse box for the extra heater for the lounge?

And, once again, your advice has been very helpful

Mant thanks

Or two questions! In my fuse box there are 6 large fuses and 1 small fuse (I assume for the 7 heaters I have?). Do I need to add a fuse to the space left in this fuse box for the extra heater for the lounge?

If you could be just a teeny bit more technical with that.... :LOL:

or post a pic.

In all likelyhood you may well have a spare heater point, impossible to say without testing it though.

I have 8 fuse slots, and in slots 1-7 I have a 15A fuse in each one, with a space for another fuse in slot 8 on the left, above.

I have 2 storage heater boxes in the lounge, one has a heater wired in the other is sitting next to a 2 gang plug socket the other side of the room.

Hope that helps to answer my previous questions.

Also, if I have to replace a storage heater like for like rating wise, what heater rating can I add in the lounge, or does this matter? Looking at the space, it will be smaller than the other one in the lounge, width wise.

Many thanks

I have 8 fuse slots, and in slots 1-7 I have a 15A fuse in each one, with a space for another fuse in slot 8 on the left, above.

I have 2 storage heater boxes in the lounge, one has a heater wired in the other is sitting next to a 2 gang plug socket the other side of the room.

Hope that helps to answer my previous questions.

Also, if I have to replace a storage heater like for like rating wise, what heater rating can I add in the lounge, or does this matter? Looking at the space, it will be smaller than the other one in the lounge, width wise.

Many thanks

the fuses are the same ratings, but ones a different type (catridge fuse not rewirable fuse). If you have 7 working heaters then the spare slot "might" be the spare heater point- it really needs checking to be sure, they might have just used a fuse carrier instead of a blank.

as for ratings, it looks as if it's done right and you have dedicated circuits that individually will take up to the max- 3.4kW, but you'd have to watch the total load, ie you couldn't have 7x 3.4's cos the leccy board fuse might pop.

I would be a bit worried about connecting anything else to that consumer unit.

The one in the picture seems to be the older style that has the main switch rated at 60A

If you had to keep storage heaters then I would stick with dimplex- spares are still available for the ones you have. The same can't be said for other makes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back