Straight bonding of roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I provided some tiles to my builder to use on my roof. They were the laescandella planum roof tiles

I looked at the roof yesterday and found that they have been laying it straight bonded (not staggered). Mine is a low pitch roof (17.5 degrees) so I'm worried about the problems this would cause.
The manual for the planum says that the tile should be laid broken bond. But looking at the tiles it does look like there are some water diversion channels under the crack.

I have the following questions:
1. How likely is this to cause me a problem? Is it something I should definitely get fixed or could it work ok?
2. Is it reasonable for me to assume that in the absence of any contradicting instructions they should be laid broken bond? I haven't seen any houses with flat roof tiles that are straight bonded so I would assume that regular custom is to lay them broken bond. Would that be correct?

Would appreciate your comments!

Thanks!

PXL_20211204_120040103.jpg

PXL_20211204_120021859.jpg

PXL_20211204_120655408.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If you provided the tiles then it would have been your responsibility to give the builder the fixing guidelines, did you provide the tile clips also?

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I wish I had provided fixing guidelines.

I did provide tile clips.

I'm hoping the tiles are ok like this. I do see that some interlocking tiles can be ok if laid this way. And from looking at the tiles it does seem like it may be ok.

As long as the headlap is done correctly you will be fine. It just looks much better when half-bonded.

Sponsored Links
Most concrete interlocking tiles are laid straight nick with the exception of the odd few (zero profile). Yours would have looked better bonded, but not much. Where on Gods gracious earth did you find those?

Thanks for your replies. Luckily, I don't care too much about look. It's not a very visible roof.

I got the tiles at Sig roofing. I don't know much about roof tiles but they don't seem too uncommon. Distributed by classic natural slate in Ireland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back