Strange Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, as i was out walking the dog yesterday, i walked past about 5 new build terraces, and in the front gardens there was a brown box that i assume contains the gas meter, coming out of it there is the main supply pipe going through the wall above ground, the thing that caught my eye was the earth bonding, it was connected on the outside of the house on the visible pipe between the brown box and wall, exposed to all elements.
Is this allowed? I would have thought it wouldn't take long for the cable and earth clamp to rust up, and would have thought it would be better to earth it on the inside

Sponsored Links
Its not unusual to have the bonding there.
BS951 earth bonding clamps are available that are made to be used externally.

Some Gas Cos do not like additional holes being drilled in the meter box. You would have to do that to get the bonding cable into the cabinet.

would it not be better to bond it at the point it enters the house? i would assume the gas pipe goes into a cupboard rather than straight into the living room

i just thought it was strange because they are a terrace of about 5 houses and 4 have the earth outside and the last one there is no earth, so i assume it would be inside

It should be within 600mm from the meter
By having it there it is visible to any inspection
I think gas people have to also confirm the bond is visible when they do any gas related work, they are not there to hunt around looking for it.

As said by others
All condition clamps
Different types are(colour coded)
should not corrode

Sponsored Links
Saying that though
REG 547-02-02 says
Where practical the connection shall be made within 600mm of the meter outlet union Or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external

Depends how you want to read the last bit
I am sure someone will clarify later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back