Strange false alarm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came back to find the alarm had triggered yesterday.
Strange thing is looking at it the time between the triggers was exactly 2 hours and 14 minutes both times. As if there is some kind of fault that was ignored for a set period of time? The sensor has not triggered a false alarm before. There was no evidence of an intruder.

I am also not 100% clear what "Guard Restore" and "Locked Out" mean exactly.

This is the log

0015 09:43:01 26/04/2013 Alarm A . Zone 004 Guard Alarm - Shed
0016 09:43:32 26/04/2013 Restore A . Zone 004 Guard Restore - Shed
0017 11:57:06 26/04/2013 Alarm A . Zone 004 Guard Alarm - Shed
0018 11:57:08 26/04/2013 Restore A . Zone 004 Guard Restore - Shed
0019 14:11:14 26/04/2013 Alarm A . Zone 004 Guard Alarm - Shed
0020 14:11:14 26/04/2013 Alarm A . Zone 004 - Shed Locked Out
0021 14:11:17 26/04/2013 Restore A . Zone 004 Guard Restore - Shed

Sponsored Links
guard alarm means zone is open, restore means it has gone closed again and lockout means it has been disabled as the panel is probably set to 3 rearms. what detector do you have in the shed ?

can't remember the brand and model but it is dual tech.
how does the sensor get re-enabled - when the alarm is reset?

strange pattern of guard alarms though isn't it?

yes its back to normal when you reset alarm... once had a premier 24 that had a false alarm most days at 13.01 ended up putting a mains filter on system, even went to site at that time set system and guess what ? it didnt happen lol

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't read anything into the fact that it went off at those particular times. We had an issue on a system once where a double door with two sets of contacts on it false alarmed at the same time for three days. Replaced the contacts, false alarms stopped.

I would cover the detector over with a piece of card and place the detector on soak test for a week or so. That should tell you if it's the detector or something environmental triggering the detector (providing all the other checks like cable readings/connections/voltages are OK)

I agree with scott1980 but wouldn't use the card - masking the detector AND putting it on soak test will only check the wiring and panel.

I'd be inclined to check for spiders (in a shed), or any other creatures, and make sure that the microwave sensitivity/range isn't set too high - it shouldn't see things outside the shed!! Put it on soak test and see what happens.

I bought some spray stuff from a cheapy shop called "No more spiders". It's chestnut and clove oil and it seems to work really well. In a house, I spray it on a paper towel or kitchen roll and shove it up the back of the detector. In a shed, I'd let it soak into the wood... Works great for cameras, too

In my experience even Dualtechs can be problematic in a shed they suffer from extremes of heat and are far from draught proof meaning that both Technologies could trip simulatainiously

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back