Strange issue with door sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Pyronix Enforcer and facing a strange issue with one of my door sensors.

For context, I have sensors fitted to front and back door programmed as Inputs 01 and 02 respectively.

Yesterday evening, whilst setting the alarm to leave through the front door (Input 01) as usual, I noticed the text on the panel was flicking between 'Exit via Input 01' and 'Exit via Input 02'.

I double checked the back door and it was closed. I opened and closed the back door and after that the text on the panel just displayed 'Exist via Input 01' as usual.

I went into the Diagnostics sub-menu in Engineer mode today and selected View Inputs. Sure enough Input 02 status was showing as O (open) even though back door was closed. I opened and shut the door and the status changed to C (closed).

Could this be an issue with the sensor on the door or with the door itself?

Regards,
FG

Sponsored Links
Reed may be sticking on that contact.
Has the door blown shout and banged recently?, which could of damaged the Reed.
Keep an eye on it, if happens again,then you need to replace the door contact.

Thanks for response. The door has blown shut a number of times over the years and not had this issue.

I've done a bit more testing and if I shut the back door gently then the sensor shows Open on the panel. But if I shut it with a more force then it shows Closed. Could it be an issue with the door being misaligned causing the contact to not be fully in line with the sensor that is on the frame?

Hope that makes sense.

We had an issue with the front door sensor triggering the alarm on a couple of occasions, as if we had just opened the door and it went into the phase the panel tone countdown pre alarm. As it was early, I just put the code in and left it off.
I had a visit from an alarm installer who traced the fault to the Reed sensor being loose, or something like that. Anyway, a new sensor was installed and fixed that issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Is there any way to know the Reed sensor is loose without calling out an installer?

Think you have done your own testing.
Sounds like problem with Reed and needs replacing.

open circuit can mean the magnet is not aligned correctly...if the door has warped or dropped on its hinges, this can cause this... rule of thumb is, the middle of the magnet should line up to the little triangle/mark on the base/side of the mrc... and as close as possible..

@TiredandGrumpyReally thanks for the response and apologies for delayed reply. I think you are spot on regarding the misalignment. I've attached a photo I took and shows the little triangle is off-centre. Is the door that needs fixing/replacing rather than the Reed?

Door Sensor Alignment.jpg

Try aligning the sensor, or changing it if necessary, before messing about with the door.
Rule out/repair the easy things first and check after each alteration. Saves creating yourself unnecessary work and checking after each alteration will show you what the problem was for future knowledge.

these magnets are pretty weak on these, try to align it and move the magnet up to the edge of the door, this of course is cheaper than buying a new one, so worth trying first. Doors warp, especially wooden doors, with weather change. personally, if I was called out to a jojb like this, i'd try fitting a larger magnet, programming the door for chime, and check the range of operation by slowly opening and closing the door and listening for the chime.. could be a sticky reed switch- where it gets stuck open or close, which will need to be replaced. but like i said, try the magnet thing first though as that is cheapest.

these magnets are pretty weak on these, try to align it and move the magnet up to the edge of the door, this of course is cheaper than buying a new one, so worth trying first. Doors warp, especially wooden doors, with weather change. personally, if I was called out to a jojb like this, i'd try fitting a larger magnet, programming the door for chime, and check the range of operation by slowly opening and closing the door and listening for the chime.. could be a sticky reed switch- where it gets stuck open or close, which will need to be replaced. but like i said, try the magnet thing first though as that is cheapest.
I’ve never found them to be weak ….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back