strange popping / snapping sound coming from wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has been doing my head in for ages now, so any help gratefully received!

Every so often (a few times a day), I get this popping / snapping sound coming from my wall. It is the outside wall of a 2 bed semi (long side wall, not attached to the neighbours).

I cannot predict when it does it, or not, but I need to sort out for my own sanity.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've seen this before are you sure it isnt more of a snap crackle then a pop? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The wall next to me in my garage conversion does this. Its a 9" brick wall with dry-lining, and it will crack now and again. This is mainly in summer though, later in the evening - and it is related to expansion/contraction.

I've not narrowed it down to a specific place for the noise

Gutter creak will have a loud, but perhaps 'hollow' crack/pop, whereas a wall will have a more 'deeper' sounding crack/pop when it expands contracts

Didn't you know that the 'snap' was removed from rice crispies in 2004 due to H&S concerns and a possible Trading Standards inquiry as there were no actual snaps in 100 tested bowls? :rolleyes:

IIRC, the rice crispies did lack any sort of bass line though

I've moved on to Special K now though - and this has reduced the creaking on my floors by quite a bit!

The wall next to me in my garage conversion does this. Its a 9" brick wall with dry-lining, and it will crack now and again. This is mainly in summer though, later in the evening - and it is related to expansion/contraction.

I've not narrowed it down to a specific place for the noise

Gutter creak will have a loud, but perhaps 'hollow' crack/pop, whereas a wall will have a more 'deeper' sounding crack/pop when it expands contracts

Thanks - that sounds about right. Is there any cure for it or is it set to annoy me forever?!?

Yes make sure that the replacement guttering has expansion joints and is adequately supported by fascia brackets placed at every metre. Make sure you have adequate fall to the outlet. 10mm drop for every 3metres is recommended or 1:350

Unfortunately plastic guttering is inherently noisy, if you want to be sure of eliminating the problem then replace the guttering with extruded aluminium.

Joe

Not the rad? The little plastic 'seat' may not have been put on, mind this sounds more like metal scrapping.... I'll just shut up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back