Strange Socket Wiring

I'm all in favour of helping DIYers but looking at your pics I think your best bet is to call sparks in.

If you have young children in the house I would do this sooner rather than later.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
You can also buy coloured sockets..

But note that Part M of the building regs also includes provisions or visually-impaired users... camouflaging the accessories contravenes these requirements! ;)

dingbat said:
But note that Part M of the building regs also includes provisions or visually-impaired users... camouflaging the accessories contravenes these requirements! ;)

Special rules for visually impaired eh, well I do wear specs

Hiya Bowness72,

In your pic looking down the cellar stairs what’s the red switch on the wall facing you as you go down the stairs for? it looks like it may be something to do with the cooker/shower circuit and just seems an odd place to have it?

There’s no reason for my question, I'm just curious.

All the best
Dan

Sponsored Links
Its the cooker switch. The wire runs across from right to left and through a hole in the kitchen wall to the cooker. I dont know why its positioned there though, although it is out of the way which is useful.

Bowness72 said:
.. although it is out of the way which is useful.

We like to think that in the event of a Fat Fire or other emergency, the householder can readily switch the cooker off with an adjacent visible switch and without leaning over the cooker.

Is this thread of particular interest to you guys because I am quite impressed with the number of responses I have had and also the total number of views has been very surprising. Having said that I did notice that there are a lot of registered members, about 45000 I think.

We particularly like pictures of old installations :LOL:

As an amateur who re-wired a house 15 years ago the advice is sound - it needs re-wiring.

Our 5 year old did not understand why I would not let him use his scalectrix for six months after we moved in but the wife did.

We had fuses in the neutrals, switches in neutral wires, unearthed circuits, overloaded circuits, no equipotential bonding at all, wires with insulation falling off where it had perished . . . . . . . . .

Don't take the risk.

I am not an electrician but I am half way through doing up a victorian house whilst living in it.

My advice for what it is worth is (if you have the money) just get it all done now in one go. It will be a week or two of hell but in the long run you will thank yourself for taking this approach.

Doing it as you go along will just mean every other job is delayed by the need to the re-wiring. As horrible as the prospect sounds I would seriously consider biting the bullet.

And to add to Sam's comments, it is almost always a false economy not to rewire. Sort all the snags out in one go, get rid of any latent defects, sleep easy at night.

(Four days, by the way, for your place, if you're interested.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back