Striking scaffolding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my whole house re-rendered...the job was completed week before last.The scaffolding guy was from a mobile number passed on to me by the plasterer.They came three weeks ago and did a proper job three stages high.Job paid on erection.
Problem is I can't get hold of the guy, his mobile is on permanent answerphone.I've left at last ten messages and haven't heard a word.

I have a garage on order that can't be erected because of the scaffolding.Ditto a shed (Can't get down side of the house) Same with a mini digger ordered to landscape rear garden.Joiner can't fit side gate etc.etc.
The whole job has ground to a halt.

Should I get another crew to strike the scaffold and present the bill to the original guys...hanging onto their gear until it's paid? I only have this mobile number and my messages are being ignored.(The plasterer has no address either...just this number)

What would you do?
(Not what I should have done..thanks)

Sponsored Links
Not much you can do unless you pay another firm to alter the scaffold and try to get the original scaffolder to reimburse you for it - good luck though.

Of course what you should have done............ ;)

We often dismantle scaffolding and lay it ready for the crew to pick up. It ain't that hard but the 21 footers can be a handful! :eek:

Take the cages off then the handrails then pass the battens down to the next lift. From here you undo the pud-locks above your head and remove the stretchers etc.

Sponsored Links
Don't mean to teach to suck eggs etc but sometimes the company have thier details pressed into the poles it may be a lead?

The only sign round here is me goin' nuts trying to get the work done.

What is it with the building trade that there always seems to be one pillock who screws the job up for everyone else?...there are 5 guys not earning off this job because of these scaffolders. 2 landscapers, 2 chippies and a block paving layer.

phone the number and leave a message telling them that the builders are going to start taking the scaffolding down. they havnt got the spanners, but the builder says he can use his angle grinder on it , is that all right. Unless iyou hear back in the next few hours hes going to start so he can get on with it.

might get a response then.

Perhaps he has lost his phone etc surely your plasterer has mates etc that know him, where did he get the number from ?
Failing that as Nose says drop it yourself, if the trades waiting are keen to get on they should help you.
If you dont hear from him again ebay...

just another thought. most scaffolders paint there tubes and boards on the end with a colour so it is easily identifiable. Ring around a few of the local ones and ask if they recognise the colour, thye may be able to give you the number

Would asking another scaffolding company to remove the scaffolding, and keep it in lieu of payment work?

Or would you be unlucky, and find you have just phoned the company your original scaffolder lifted the kit from....

I've just left them a message...remove in 48 hours or it will be dismantled by others and the poles retained until they pay the extra bill.

I've just left them a message...remove in 48 hours or it will be dismantled by others and the poles retained until they pay the extra bill.

Try not to forget though, you are dealing with scaffolders and not some namby pamby pen pushers here. You may find yourself impaled 'Vlad' style, if you start threatening.

Ask for a little discount for dropping the tubes. The scaffolders i know would not like it if you threatened to keep their gear.

I'm no pansy meself mate...Sick of the pretty please route...these guys are costing me money.They've already been paid and by not doing their job they've messed about the other guys, who can't do their jobs and earn a crust..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back