Strong Gas Smell after new Gas Work on Boiler HELP Please!

NO. Once a smell has been reportd, there is NO allowance. Very annoying if, say, there was a massive and obvious leak on a gas applince, which you sorted, and you are left with a 0.5mb drop, somewhere else. Technically, you cannot leave the tiny escape.

I dont disagree with that.

BUT, I take the view that the smell of gas needs to be confirmed by the occupiers at the point when you would like to leave.

Previous smells of gas may have been a hob burner turned on and not ignited.

One old codger insisted there was a smell of gas when he put his nose into the 1/- meter. I could measure no leak but told him that if he insisted on saying there was a smell then I would have to turn it off!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Customer smells gas after the system passes a tightness test, phone the gas transporter, let them deal with it.

NO. Once a smell has been reportd, there is NO allowance. Very annoying if, say, there was a massive and obvious leak on a gas applince, which you sorted, and you are left with a 0.5mb drop, somewhere else. Technically, you cannot leave the tiny escape.

I dont disagree with that.

BUT, I take the view that the smell of gas needs to be confirmed by the occupiers at the point when you would like to leave.

Previous smells of gas may have been a hob burner turned on and not ignited.

One old codger insisted there was a smell of gas when he put his nose into the 1/- meter. I could measure no leak but told him that if he insisted on saying there was a smell then I would have to turn it off!

Tony

Tony, It's too late! A smell of gas was reported. A leak was detected and recorded. No ,matter what whoever can or cannot smell subsequently - YOU CANNOT LEAVE ANY ESCAPE!

PVM, at least you're trying to be serious this tome, as opposed to your normal saddo comments, but there is still a 3.5mb drop. You're too busy thinking of childish comments to be able to read properly.

Expertgasman. As the smell of gas has gone yet there is still the Pressure Drop does that mean I need to get this checked. My gut and common sense says yes, BUT the system absorbing?

I cannot believe a system and pipework would 'absorb' let alone drop 3.5mb.

Many thanks for all the posts. This is a serious matter and I'm all for a little light hearted humour in posts but do not want to detract from the issue, which is a potential major safety issue and I am left wondering what the next course of action might have to be.

I have thought about getting Gas safe to do an inspection but understand that could be up to three months.

Sponsored Links
Talk to the guy who effect the repair and mention health and safety as well as Gas Safe unless he locates the gas leak.

Locating of gas leaks should not be a peoblem for someone who is registered and has been trading for a while. It could be a problem for someone who is fresh out of a class room.

Talk to the guy who effect the repair and mention health and safety as well as Gas Safe unless he locates the gas leak.

Locating of gas leaks should not be a peoblem for someone who is registered and has been trading for a while. It could be a problem for someone who is fresh out of a class room.

i very seldom disagree with what you say, but in this case i do haha, there is no way i would let this muppet any where near my gas pipes after he has done such shoddy work, get someone else in and report the muppet to GSR and get the guy who fixes it to complete a RIDDOR, he should be hounded out the industry for negligence,

Kirkgas, I am humbled, but you should be looking at bigger fish

Morning Dan :cool:

Have to agree with Kirkgas as well, no way would the Muppet be asked back, in fact he/she would have been thrown out when he turned up without proper testing gear.

I'm sorry to say the Op has to ask himself what the hell is he thinking of, by allowing it to get out of hand like this.

Morning Dan :cool:

Have to agree with Kirkgas as well, no way would the Muppet be asked back, in fact he/she would have been thrown out when he turned up without proper testing gear.

I'm sorry to say the Op has to ask himself what the hell is he thinking of, by allowing it to get out of hand like this.

With respect I didn't let it get out of hand. We are in a situation where by I was given the impression that the Fitter knew what he was doing and being told information that was not quite accurate.

It never got out of hand. I was always in control and was ready to get someone else in.

Not being a gas engineer nor fully ofay with all the regulations he informed me that the 'liquid' would detect any leak and he didn't need a sniffer.

When you get someone of the Gas Safe register, which is where we found him, you have to believe that you have a suitably qualified person?

I suspect there are two aspects which may have swayed the OP towards this guy.

He is probably reasonably priced and he is apparently prepared to overlook 3.5 mB drop on pipework!

Whilst we would all agree the leak should be sorted there will be a cost involved and many home owners are reluctant to spend money ( except holidays and new cars ).

Tony

Anything over a days work to find and repair is out of hand.

I appreciate you may not have a clue, and that is understandable, but you must have questioned what the hell he was doing all day for 4 days.

He could have ripped the lot out and re-piped it in a less than a day. Mind you by the sound of it he would have more leaks than he started with if he had.

Agile - The Fitter nor I were aware of a 3.5mb drop prior to any work being carried out or him being instructed. He only mentioned this when he had connected the new system and I had called him back to check out the smell from the upstairs boiler area. I am not reluctant to spend the money as it's a safety issue.

He was not the cheapest, he was the one that was the most thorough in his pre-work to ensure the correct gas pressure would reach the boiler and not cause and CO issues at the Hob or Open Fire.

ditall; The whole job was spanned over several weeks as we had other work going on the house. I did double check his logic to ensure he wasn't overlooking the obvious. The whole lot could have been re-pipped but we had just had the decorators finished and my daughters room had had all the furniture replaced over the floor. He was also looking in the wrong place for a long time as he did not suspect his own pipework initially.

Expertgasman. As the smell of gas has gone yet there is still the Pressure Drop does that mean I need to get this checked. My gut and common sense says yes, BUT the system absorbing?I cannot believe a system and pipework would 'absorb' let alone drop 3.5mb.
I'm not sure what Alex is on about, with "absorption". The fact is, you CAN leave a 4mb leak on EXISTING poipework, subject to no reports of smells. Common sense may ask why you can find and repair a massive leak, but HAVE to find, say, a further 0.5, when you can leave 4Mb, if no smell reported. Within this context, I sometimes do have symppathy for clients who face a reasonably large bill for a rerun. On the other hand, as an RGI, you have to have the confidence to assert the rules, but not every one can!

Many thanks for all the posts. This is a serious matter and I'm all for a little light hearted humour in posts but do not want to detract from the issue, which is a potential major safety issue and I am left wondering what the next course of action might have to be. [/i]

I have thought about getting Gas safe to do an inspection but understand that could be up to three months.

I beleive it is up to 3 months for a routine check after an appliance registration, but a report of dangerous / illegal activity will be acyted upon more quickly. A phone call can't hurt. I understand that you have spoke to GS already, didn't they make any enquiries as to who did the job and left 3.5Mb.

Agile - The Fitter nor I were aware of a 3.5mb drop prior to any work being carried out or him being instructed. He only mentioned this when he had connected the new system and I had called him back to check out the smell from the upstairs boiler area. I am not reluctant to spend the money as it's a safety issue.

He was not the cheapest, he was the one that was the most thorough in his pre-work to ensure the correct gas pressure would reach the boiler and not cause and CO issues at the Hob or Open Fire.

ditall; The whole job was spanned over several weeks as we had other work going on the house. I did double check his logic to ensure he wasn't overlooking the obvious. The whole lot could have been re-pipped but we had just had the decorators finished and my daughters room had had all the furniture replaced over the floor. He was also looking in the wrong place for a long time as he did not suspect his own pipework initially.
Not joining in the ' having a dig' Q as at the end of the day you are the layman, and this guy , as he is Gas safe registered, is the 'expert' - its not a problem for you to be clueless, as you wouldn't know where to start, and this guy has a little knowledge- maybe although we have seen little evidence of that yet- which is dangerous as im sure he feels competent to do the work. Not even testing the existing supply before he starts work shows he also lacks common sense, as it don't take a RGI to realise doing so before he touched it may assist him in finding a leak if he had one - and we have all been there, no shame in having a leak on a gas supply that you put in.......

But there is if it takes you 4 days to find it and still leave it with a drop. I'd get Gas safe in pronto, before this clown kills someone. Would you be happy letting him loose in the home of a loved one?

Do the right thing! :mad:

Kin basic gas work, tightness test "BEFORE" adding new pipework to existing circuit, then test "AFTER", if sound before then it's obvious it's what you've added has the leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back