Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a shower in a bathroom.

Shower is a Mira unit that uses Z connectors like this:

mira-z-connectors-1836.180.jpg

And I was planning on fitting one of these to the (stud) wall behind it

s-l500.jpg

The problem is that the shower says the end of the Z connector must be 40-43mm proud of the finished wall - once you've factored in the thickness of the tile (10mm), adhesive (1mm), tanking (1mm) & tile board (12mm) you don't have enough left exposed.

The shower has a rigid riser which is why I guess the spec is so tight.

The best idea I've got so far is to ditch the Z connector for a 1/2" extension of the required length (measured once the room is fitted out), but these seem difficult to get hold of.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

Sponsored Links
I always ditch those z connectors, what about a 1/2 inch male compression with a piece of 15mm copper cut over long. Once wall is finished you can cut to 25mm and fit the standard shower compression fittings that are available.

I always ditch those z connectors, what about a 1/2 inch male compression with a piece of 15mm copper cut over long. Once wall is finished you can cut to 25mm and fit the standard shower compression fittings that are available.
That was my other thought (and probably a lot cheaper than the extensions). Just worried about a compression fitting dripping or being a bit wobbly as it's supporting the shower.

Sponsored Links
The best idea I've got so far is to ditch the Z connector for a 1/2" extension of the required length (measured once the room is fitted out), but these seem difficult to get hold of.

You can buy brass 1/2" threaded extension pieces and 1/2" sockets. Fit the sockets to the extension to try-fit, then cut them to length. Use liquid ptfe to seal and secure them to the recessed bracket before tiling (a couple of 1/2" blanks are useful to test your handiwork for leaks before tiling). After tiling and grouting add the Z (is that what they're called?) connectors as these convert the 1/2" to the required 3/4" for most bar valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back