stupid diy tv shows?

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
It doesn't matter, what does is that you took pride in your work to do a proper job regardless of it now being covered up somewhat, the trouble today is that too many "tradesmen" as well as DIY'ers cut corners to save time with the attitude that it won't be seen so don't worry about it!

Well I am an amateur DIYer, and some of my success (and I do consider that most of it is!) comes from the benefits of advice proffered by persons of all standards on this site.
I have worked alongside a professional who told me to stop being so fussy and just slap the paint on; and my former wife employed a professional to decorate the outside of the house, while I was working away. On my return I had to call him back to actually paint the backs of all the drainpipes.
So-called professionals have always left spray from rollers on everything when I have employed them, so, I suppose that was to my benefit on learning how it should not be done.
Some DIYers are good, some professionals are not, and vice versa - that's life I suppose.
My only continued failing is to underestimate the time involved.

planenut said:
My only continued failing is to underestimate the time involved.
exactly the point being made, too many today consider time as money and can't wait to finish and go, I can remember a class of workman who through his skill and experience could do a professional job and still within time constraints. The main thing i believe is missing these days is having pride in what you do.
I actually place my name inside any units i build these days as a mark that i was proud of what i achieved.

Sponsored Links
Fact of the matter is that everything is done to a price, not a standard. The old saying holds more than ever. "we know the price of everything, and the value of nothing". You can apply this to almost any situation and I bet you find it is true.

For instance in my profession :!: :?: most banks now outsource their phone bank operations to Hydrabad or Bangalore or somewhere where slave labour can effectively be bought, the fact that the quality of the service isn't as good and that the general public do not want the jobs to be outsourced is irrelevant . Just a case of more profit, worse service, better return for shareholders (which includes the fat cat tw*t CEO, who frankly couldn't give a sh*t about his staff or customers, just his whopping big bonus at the end of the day)

It comes as little surprise to read today, that London is now home to the greatest number of billionaires in any city worldwide (ok, I haven't checked whether or not that is true). Now I'm not advocating communism or anything like that, I'm not even particularly political, but say for instance when you see that the richest man in Britain is worth about £15 billion, and due to our ludicrous tax laws, by claiming he is a non resident, he pays no tax anywhere (again believing the article at face value).

Now I'm all for people improving their lot by education and hard work, but in the vast majority of cases all the so called billionaires, great crimes have been committed to attain this wealth. I mean how dodgy was the communist sell off of their oil assets :?: Theft, pure theft.

Blimey that's rare for me a psuedo political rant.... Probably brought on by my combined bank account and credit card statements, I think I'll claim non residency, or be like some royalty and decline to pay tax this year.

Back