Subsidence & Structural Engineer Call Out

1 Feb 2023
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Good Evening,

I want to get in a structural engineer to have a look at a few cracks in and outside our house. Everyone I know doesn't think I need to be worried about any of them as they're not mirrored inside/out etc. However, for peace of mind, I wouldn't mind getting a professional opinion from a structural engineer.

To be clear, I don't have to inform my insurance company of this do I? I'm just conscious that if I raised suspicions about subsidence that turned out not to be subsidence, then I might be charged a premium for even mentioning it in the first place!

Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
A few SE's and experienced builders are on the site. Chuck up some pics and save yourself the money
Thanks Jacko, I think once I'd seen the first crack, they just seem to pop up everywhere.

The first three images are cracks that I've found inside (I apologise there's not more to show context/the quality is not great - though I can take more). My main concern was the slight crack below the downstairs window sill in the first image as I've read cracks starting from her aren't great! Though there are no matching external cracks.

Picture 1: Small crack i've noticed coming from edge of window sill (though seems more bulged)
Picture 2: Two hairline cracks on an internal wall within the house
Picture 3: Crack in the corner of a room

The final three images are external:

Picture 4: A vertical crack from the bottom of UPVC doors on our extension to the ground
Picture 5 & 6: Cracks in the mortar found above the downstairs window.

All these cracks occur in different parts of the home.

I realise I'm probably being anxious and need to calm down a little, but any help would honestly be hugely appreciated. It's getting me so stressed!


  • IMG_2992.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2993.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2995.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 20.54.53.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 20.54.53.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 20.54.46.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 20.54.46.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 136
my thoughts but no expert
go to bed and next summer have another look and if it bothers you use flexible filler and redecorate
building breathe materials settle down
and yes you must tell your insurance about relevant changes otherwise its fraud through misrepresentation
but in this instance nothing to report (y)
Sponsored Links
do a search for subsidence cracks and another for settlement cracks
then you will see none off yours even register as actual cracks :giggle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local