Sudden problem with our SKY system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suddenly discovered today that our SKY system has a fault which we have never encountered before. We cannot get BBC1 to work, we are told there is no signal. But BBC2 works but only after we get a message telling us to re-start the SKY box. And we can't get any SKY channels to work either. We have tried pressing the yellow button and gone through the re-starting routine as instructed but the errant channels still won't work and we tried recording from those channels but to no avail.

Yes, we did have 32mm of rain last night with some quite strong winds but we are in the middle of the U.K. and so didn't get the really bad weather that some parts of the U.K. suffered. The SKY dish looks O.K. to me, no loose cables and I don't really think it has moved.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong or anything else to try and cure the problem. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Sponsored Links
You may think it hasn't moved, but just a short distance in any direction can result in the signal being distorted or even missed.
I would suggest getting a proper satellite engineer out to check your alignment.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I found that earlier today. I can take a photo. & post it if you like. Thanks for your help.

Just taken this. I am confused about the bar system.
SKY-2.jpg

No signal from the lnb on output 2 suggests the lnb has suffered in the rain. Turn the box off swap the input cables over and if input 2 returns and input 1 is zero then it's new lnb time.

Thank you very much for your help. You clearly know what you are talking about. I had "a man" in today and as you say, it was a faulty LNB that was the issue. As can be seen the cover had deteriorated and allowed the heavy rain to get inside. In fact, after he had removed it I turned it upside down and the water poured out.

I wasn't that pleased about the cost though. He was a decent chap but after he spoke to his superiors they said that the cost was £162 and that was after OAP discount. And I have subsequently discovered that the LNBs can be bought for £10-£12. He was only here 20 minutes.

LNB.jpg

I think you would call the outfit independent. I Googled "Sky engineer" and found someone alledgedly near to me. But when he had done the work he phoned someone who I assume was a superior of some kind and that person obviously dictated what the price was going to be. In truth I think it is a franchise operation of some sort. The chap told me he was from a place 20 miles NE of my place and he had already been 20 miles SW of my place earlier in the day. I am reluctant to name names on here but presumably I could send you a PM if you really needed to know.

I did a bit of research. I found the name of the company and looked at the commpany's financial details. They are very comprehensive which is unusual and there is only one Director and he is making a shed load of money !

I am a pensioner and sometimes need to call on tradesmen for fixes . I don't think 162 pounds is too bad , you will need to start saving up if you need a boiler repair or a tap washer fixing .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back