Suggestions for improvements to DIYnot.com

How about publishing all of the unwritten rules that the moderators enforce? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Richardp said:
Its not nice to see posts unanswered, I don't mean on General discussion, but DIY subjects, and maybe they get forgotten or we have assumed that its been resolved, so hows about a countdown forum for unanswered posts, just to remind us to have a rethink about it? maybe after a week or two a red flashing symbol saying ''unresolved''

I agree with Richardp, it is bad manners to not answer people who are trying to help solve a problem. Also for others trying to learn from the posts. Perhaps being unable to post another in the same forum until you acknowledge your last post is complete.

;)

Jonny
Thats go to be a No No.
I have posted two questions in the same forumn as they are not related, do as you suggest would mean untill post 1 is resolved I cant ask another question.
But I think I know where you are coming from.

Sponsored Links
Point accepted but I'm sure there must be a way to remove the frustration this causes. How about the author having to acknowledge that the last one is still ongoing ?

;)

Richardp said:
Its not nice to see posts unanswered, I don't mean on General discussion, but DIY subjects, and maybe they get forgotten or we have assumed that its been resolved, so hows about a countdown forum for unanswered posts, just to remind us to have a rethink about it? maybe after a week or two a red flashing symbol saying ''unresolved''

:idea: How about auto-bump after 7 days for a 2nd chance :?:

Diyisfun said:
Softus said:
How about publishing all of the unwritten rules that the moderators enforce? :evil:
LOL
There might well be chuckles at the suggestion, but if you think I was joking then you're wrong.

Richard said:
...hows about a countdown forum for unanswered posts, just to remind us to have a rethink about it? maybe after a week or two a red flashing symbol saying ''unresolved''
jonnyfishing said:
I agree with Richardp, it is bad manners to not answer people who are trying to help solve a problem. Also for others trying to learn from the posts.
The behavior of some OPs is just a symptom of the entropic nature of the cyber-universe - in the same way that TCP sessions are short-lived, the connections between OPs and helpers is tenuous, and often non-existent. The world we live in is increasingly less caring, and expecting manners from every OP is like expecting more than 0.1% of BMW drivers to be courteous.

And if you don't get a taste of the sour, the sweet isn't as good. :)

Notwithstanding that, I think it would be a good thing if the notice issued when creating a new topic (or, if it's the same notice, then the one issued when you make any post) included a reminder to the poster to have the good grace to thank people when the problem is finally resolved.

Perhaps being unable to post another in the same forum until you acknowledge your last post is complete.
I think this is impractical, and I would vote against this on the grounds of the extra software complexity and propensity for it to go wrong. And we'd need a whole forum for people to ask the question "Why can't I post a new question?" :eek:

You might think my underlying suggestion of moderating the moderators is impractical, but, and if you could ignore my blatant hypocrisy for a moment, I think it's the pinnacle of bad manners to delete, on an individual whim, and without a shred of explanation, a topic that is considered to contain more than an acceptable proportion of bad mouthing, with the result that all of the bystanding good advice is vaporised without trace.

Leaving aside the issue of manners, it wouldn't be going too far to say that the actions I see regularly perpetrated, silently, and without accountability, are crimes that act to repudiate the very constitution of the site.

I think you should have a sin bin to put people like me in hee hee

or a nut case forum as then i can write to myself and tell me sin daft jokes,

why not a domestic energy assessors forum..

What about a section dealing with energy saving ideas when improving various aspects of the house.

Do new members get sent an email that they have to receive and reply to, to activate their accounts? I would have thought that might slow down some of the spammers.

How about a "find love" forum for the peeps on here that want to get it on i.e. Kev and Bett and Softus and Belrose. :LOL: ;)
My bad. :oops:

gcol said:
How about a "find love" forum for the peeps on here that want to get it on i.e. Kev and Bett and Softus and Belrose.
A foursome is an interesting suggestion, but I'm a bit too shy for that. :oops:

Softus said:
gcol said:
How about a "find love" forum for the peeps on here that want to get it on i.e. Kev and Bett and Softus and Belrose.
A foursome is an interesting suggestion, but I'm a bit too shy for that. :oops:

good one :LOL: the responce to the post that is, not the 4 some :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Back