Suggestions for improvements to DIYnot.com

Er, yes.

Anyway, in an attempt to return to pastures relevant, how about making the BBCode Tags work properly?

Sponsored Links
What about a forum regarding how things used to be done compared to today. And the name could be called OLDEN DAYS it would be great reading to know how things in the past were done compared to now. :LOL:

And another idea (or, at least, another way of addressing the same old idea)...

[url=//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=588152#588152]Softus said:
[/url]Something that would be extra handy is a forum section that contains one explanation per deletion/locking.

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
why dont you pack it up
Because of this:

DIYnot said:
we would very much like to hear from anyone with any suggestions they think would improve the forum
...and this:

ban-all-sheds said:
MOD 2 said:
you can ask any question (within reason)
i am just sick of reading the same old (lets get the mod's ) threads
BTW i apologise i thought you where having a go at me

Thank you for the answer.

I can't promise that I'll never have complaints in the future about moderator actions, but it is good to know that if I have a reasonable question, reasonably worded, I will get an answer. (I assume that "you can ask any question (within reason)" means that I'll get an answer, not just that I may ask it.... ;) )

MOD 2

yup

being this is a diy site.....it has a lot of sections to it to read, I think it would be helpful to all concerned to make not only known that it is a UK based site....but depending on what part of the world is thought to be struggling with this fact.....HOW it is different would be handy. I know from time to time americans post probs with their appliances.....but I would bet that most if not all dont know that yours are very different and the same goes for electrics....measurements....paints...gas appliances/regulations......there are some professional and intelligent folks on this forum. So...who likes to be reduced to "sorry mate....dont work over here"....or the other side of the pond, where all you get is "nothing" because no one knows how to answer. Oh.....and one more tiny suggestion....any way you can control the "this is a UK site....being BEFORE you see "bobvila"?.....that just adds to the confusion. ;)

this is how it appears now:

Ask Your Question
On a U.S. based website Find real answers. Real fast. BobVila.com

Ads by Google

it's the first thing you see when you log in to the home page

Bett, i agree. There are a lot of people who come on from the USA thinking this is an international site, when 99% of the "knowledgable" people who give advice on this site are from the UK.

There is a forum section, for example, for Electrics outside of the UK. I think this is partly because of the safety aspect of working with electricity, and the fact that different countries vary widely in their standards / regulations / colour codes / voltages - you get my point.

The fact is though, many people are ignorant, or lack the logic required to figure out that this is a UK site! Likewise many people abuse the location function, so it is often hard to see where people are from, but then its their own fault that they get poor advice!

Perhaps diynot.co.uk would have been a wiser domain! ;)

CINDYFEDUP said:
help please me. my indesit WIE 137 showed an error code F-05 and stopped working on the final rinses, when i took the drain hose out of its outlet pipe, to remove the rest of the water manually, i reset the machine it stared working again (with the hose out of the outlet pipe),but back in the outlet drain it stops again why???

oh ffs!

+++++++++++
Moderator's note:

I have moved it

M R
+++++++++++

How about a trade forum. i know its a diy site but a lot of the regulars who contribute on here are in a trade of some form. sometimes we need to ask non forum specific questions or advice ie accounts, legal, advertising etc. Might be easier if we all knew to look in the same place.

gcol said:
As well as being able to edit our own posts, we should be able to delete them too.
Excellent. Though in the interests of people who have quoted deleted posts and thus look stupid, it should state that someone has deleted a post, where the post once was.

edited: Changed my mind :oops:

that seems to do the trick.

No, then I would have had to say

"Post deleted here"

which means the same thing :)

Sponsored Links
Back