Suggestions for improvements to DIYnot.com

gcol said:
mlb3c said:
oh yeah!.....I can see how a delete button would be handy :rolleyes:
Sorry, I forgot you were perfect. ;) People make mistakes. How many times have you seen "oooops double post"???? or "I was having connection problems" A personal delete button has a place in this forum just like it does in others.
gcol, I think you've misinterpreted what Bett meant - she wasn't being sarcastic, but was pointing out the irony. ;)

Sponsored Links
Hmmm maybe.... mind you, women don't usually stoop so low as to be sarcastic, so maybe you're right. Wish I had a delete button now! :LOL: But then it wouldn't work cause you've posted after me. :( ;)

I have been reading all your suggestions with interest, I thought I'd let it run a while to see where it went.

I need to look into how viable some of the suggestions are and then I'll give you some more info.

The most immediate thing to consider is new forum sections. I am just deciding which ones I will add first from the ones listed in this topic and the suggestions emailed to me, so if you have any other 'new forum section' suggestions, suggest here......

Personally, I would:

1. Either:

(a) Put wall tiling and floor tiling together, and probably in Plumbing.
or
(b) Put wall tiling and floor tiling together, and create a new forum "Bathrooms and tiling".

2. Create a new forum "Groundwork and Drainage".

3. Create a new forum aimed to answering questions about qualifications, licences, memberships, Part P, legal opinions, and all the other nonsense that distracts from technical points in the main fora.

3. Work out a way to easily copy, when desired, a topic to a Wiki, and be able to edit out anything irrelevant.

4. Make the speelcacker run automatically, for every post, before it can be submitted. All of them. Every single one.

5. Somehow give the Wiki more prominence in the fora.

6. Make the search utility work. :(

Sponsored Links
I am about halfway through doing some things to further integrate the Wiki, including being able to 1-click insert into a post a link to a wiki page listed in your bookmarks, nominate posts/topics for inclusion/conversion to the wiki and a conversion 'wizard' to convert posts/topics into a wiki page.

The search utility is another work in progress, Ive hit a few dead ends due to the scale of the forum, but I've changed tack and I'm pursuing a different line so hopefully in the not to distant future things will improve on that front.

DIYnot said:
I am about halfway through doing some things to further integrate the Wiki, including being able to 1-click insert into a post a link to a wiki page listed in your bookmarks, nominate posts/topics for inclusion/conversion to the wiki and a conversion 'wizard' to convert posts/topics into a wiki page.
Blimey - it's like you're reading my mind. :eek:

The search utility is another work in progress...
Er, I hope you can't tell what I'm thinking now. :D

Crafty said:
Is fora a word?
What are you - Welsh? :eek:

Crafty said:
Is fora a word?

of course, it's plural of "forum" in the same way that "bi" is plural of "bus". Depending on how Anglicised you consider the word is, you might prefer to say "forums" and "buses"

That was the primary reason behind addition of the Wiki bookmarks function, when posting you click on a link (like the view more emoticons link) and a window pops up allowing you to click on either one of your forum or wiki bookmarks.
With the forum2wiki conversion, each post would have an option to nominate either it or the whole topic. A publically accessible page will contain nominated pages, in rank order. The conversion itself would allow choice of namespace (e.g. plumbing etc), generate page title from the original post / topic. When copying from a topic, something along the lines of tick boxes for each post so only the relevant ones are included. The resultant page would be dumped into the wiki editor, ready to be saved or tidied.

Here is possibly the smallest preview in the world; a nice shiny button:

icon_wiki.gif

:D

JohnD said:
Crafty said:
Is fora a word?

of course, it's plural of "forum" in the same way that "bi" is plural of "bus". Depending on how Anglicised you consider the word is, you might prefer to say "forums" and "buses"
Your testiculating! (waving your arms around and talking b****cks)

I waited 30 minutes for a bus and then 3 bi came along at once. Yeah sure. Modern english that innit. :rolleyes: :LOL:

No less so than "fora."

Neither are forms I choose to use myself.

Softus said:
Personally, I would:

1. Either:

(a) Put wall tiling and floor tiling together, and probably in Plumbing.
or
(b) Put wall tiling and floor tiling together, and create a new forum "Bathrooms and tiling".
I agree that the 2 tiling forums should be joined, but for the love of God don't put them with the plumbing types! The plumbing forum is very busy now without adding to it.
I reckon to have Floors/tiling/painting and decorating in one forum and have the lofts in building and stairs in joinery. This would do away with one forum. There's a danger that we have too many sections which could confuse.

would it not make sense to put lofts in with roofing?

i agree all tiling should be together, but not in plumbing.

plastering and rendering could be grouped together.

how about some simple to use calculators for quantities etc

Sponsored Links
Back