Sulphur Smell coming from Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really need some help here with this one.

I recently moved into a new house about two months ago and up to two weeks ago we have had no problems with our heating system. The problem started after we returned from a weeks holiday (central heating was switched off during this week).

Whenever we use the heating, we get a very strong smell coming from the bathroom and maybe a bedroom next to the bathroom. The smell stinks of rotten eggs/sulphur and at times can be quite over powering. We can't isolate the smell down to anything in particular.

For info we have a combi boiler

Sponsored Links
Is it an open flued combi it may be sooted up and VERY dangerous, but still best to take no chances and turn it off AND GET IT CHECKED. Fumes can kill in less than 30 minutes not worth the risk

Let me get my crystal ball out! Damn the batteries have gone! You will have to tell us where your boiler is located and what make model it is, any opening windows or vents near the flue etc :rolleyes:

What boiler?

What fuel?

Where is the flue?

Do you have enough jumpers and hats to cope with turning off the boiler until this is sorted? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I'm not going on who wants to be a millionaire with namsag, fastest finger first :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

gas4you said:
Let me get my crystal ball out! Damn the batteries have gone! You will have to tell us where your boiler is located and what make model it is, any opening windows or vents near the flue etc :rolleyes:

Sorry, not a plumber so was unsure how much info to give. The boiler is on the ground floor and the master bathoom and bedroom where the smell seems to be coming from is on the 1st floor. The boiler is fixed to an outside wall which has no windows or vents as far as I can see (apart from the boiler outlet).

Strange one today is that the heating was off all day and for the 1st time we caught the smell again. The only time the bioler had kicked in was to supply hot water for the taps we had run and the dishwasher (or does the dishwasher heat its own water)

Softus said:
What boiler?

What fuel?

Where is the flue?

Do you have enough jumpers and hats to cope with turning off the boiler until this is sorted? :eek:

Boiler = Wochester 24I (thats all I can see on the front)
Fuel = Gas
Flue = Is on the outside wall (under the bedroom and on the same corner of the house where the bathroom is where the smell seems to come from)

jmaster said:
Sorry, not a plumber so was unsure how much info to give.
All of it. :!:

The boiler is on the ground floor and the master bathoom and bedroom where the smell seems to be coming from is on the 1st floor. The boiler is fixed to an outside wall which has no windows or vents as far as I can see (apart from the boiler outlet).
Which boiler, and which fuel?

The only time the bioler had kicked in was to supply hot water for the taps we had run
Turn off the boiler, and leave it off. :eek:

...and the dishwasher (or does the dishwasher heat its own water)
Yes it does.

Gas4you yeah not a bad time after an aternoon session ;)

It may be as simple as the pump starting to burn out but not worth the risk few days no heat /hot water or DEATH, Know what i would pick

jmaster said:
Boiler = Wochester 24I (thats all I can see on the front)
Fuel = Gas
Flue = Is on the outside wall (under the bedroom and on the same corner of the house where the bathroom is where the smell seems to come from)
I expect that everyone here will advise you to switch off the boiler and leave it off. Use kettles for hot water.

If you have appliances elsewhere in the property, then experiment with them with caution. If you have any reason to suspect that there's a fault with the gas supply, e.g. low pressure, then call National Grid UK on 0800 111 999. Otherwise, call a CORGI registered gas installer to attend to the boiler.

The boiler was most recently checked in October, if I call transco and say I think I smell GAS or something from the bioler, will they send somebody out for free or should I just turn everythin off until Tuesday and call out a plumber ??

Thanks for your help so far.

jmaster said:
Strange one today is that the heating was off all day and for the 1st time we caught the smell again. The only time the bioler had kicked in was to supply hot water for the taps we had run and the dishwasher

Are you saying that it smelled without the boiler on, or when it was on for the water?

Brings back memories of a job I was called to due to smoke and smell coming from boiler. Turned out it was the ceiling light overheating and burning the ceiling :rolleyes:

Best to be safe as others suggest and turn off until professionally inspected ;)

Sorry, wife has just reminded me of one more thing I forgot.

When we got back from holiday (before that no smell), I noticed that the water pressure was low in the central heating system so I topped it up, might be nothing but if you have all the infor you can advise.

Thanks

gas4you said:
jmaster said:
gas4you said:
Strange one today is that the heating was off all day and for the 1st time we caught the smell again. The only time the bioler had kicked in was to supply hot water for the taps we had run and the dishwasher

Are you saying that it smelled without the boiler on, or when it was on for the water?

Brings back memories of a job I was called to due to smoke and smell coming from boiler. Turned out it was the ceiling light overheating and burning the ceiling :rolleyes:

Best to be safe as others suggest and turn off until professionally inspected ;)

What I'm saying is that we smelt the nasty smell this afternoon and the heating had been off all day, the only this the boiler would of switched on for was to heat any hot water we were using

jmaster said:
The boiler was most recently checked in October, if I call transco and say I think I smell GAS or something from the bioler, will they send somebody out for free or should I just turn everythin off until Tuesday and call out a plumber ??

Thanks for your help so far.

If in any doubt, as you obviously are, call TRANSCO, now National Grid, and report smell of fumes. They will come out free but could well end up turning gas off and advising you to call in a CORGI. They are a safety service. not a repair service :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back