sump plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all ive got a bit of a prob with a sump plug which has a torx female, prob is it has stripped during removal with the correct tool it wasent in the best of states thanks to some clever person damaging it the past, ive tried the using chisel very carefully on the edge but it refuses to budge im at a loss as what to do, the only course of action i can think of is welding a nut (not by my self)onto the plug the sump is ally so this does not help has anyone got any ideas before i resort to this.
cheers Rich

Sponsored Links
no not really its a very thin flat faced plug on an astra i have tried with mole grips but not really wide enough for any major grip

You'll need to be patient with a chisel. Sometimes I've managed to get them with a centrepunch.

Sponsored Links
sometimes you can araldite a drive that's a fair fit into place. You will preferably use a T handle rather than a ratchet to undo it, as you can avoid any sideways or off-centre load that might make it come out. buy the new plug first.

When you look at the new plug consider if you could drill up the middle of it and use an extractor. If you can get a left-handed drill, the torque, vibration and heat of the drilling may wind the plug out, or at least loosen it.

Hammer the plug directly. The sump is an alloy so will be stiff and cause the plug to take the shock. You are trying to loosen the plug by shock, just don't crack the sump. Keep hitting it and you will find the splines becoming bured. Now get an allen key socket, or torx bit (you decide) that's a tight fit, but not to tight and tap it into the plug. As you apply force keep hitting the T-bar forcing the socket in further.

It will eventually loosen, good luck.....

Hi the direct hammering may not be possible as the plug is thin in depth and dish like in shape so very little meat to hit, I like the idea of a left hand drill bit I'll need to find a good engineering supplier., I've got a new plug and as its a fair size there is room to drill a hole through the middle not sure about the surge of oil that would ensue, how would I get the remainder to unscrew though?
Rich

the small sharp chisel method would be your best bet,a bit of heat first if possible then try to create a decent burr on the plug with the chisel.
once shocked once or twice it will loosen off

I think I'd be reaching for the MIG by now.....if the car is on a ramp then a bolt / allen key / snug fitting torx could be flashed on in less than a minute.
Alloy sumps are easy to crack!
John :)

Hi John here's an up date on the sump plug,Ive decided after much searching not to go ahead with the welding angle or the hammer way, as said by yourself ,ally,its a bit risky so I've bought a syphon vacum pump so I can remove oil via the dipstick then change the filter pump was £29 inc delivery so it's considerably less expensive than the hourly rate from the garage, it this option is now quite popular so job done I hope pump not arrived yet but I'll keep you posted on the outcome, also the torx male size is E40 for the Astra 51 plate catch you soon.
Rich

Hi Andy thanks for looking those up but the plug looks like a thin large table washer with an internal female torx, I've got a replacement plug no problem the problem is that it's stripped out and I'm not going to risk cracking the ally sump so this is the reason for a syphon pump thanks for trying though.
Rich

Sponsored Links
Back