Sun tunnels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am thinking of fitting a couple of sun tunnels in our kitchen (one would probably suffice but can't get it central so 2 for aesthetic reasons)

There is a tiled sloping roof above (I believe the tiles to be marley double Roman)
Would be rigid tube approx 1 - 1.5m in length

Has anyone had any experience with these, good or bad and see any reason why we shouldn't have one. Is there anything I'd need to get to suit specifically the tiles we have

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They are only really effective in areas that need them. In other words, to gain the greatest advantage , there can be no light pollution from elsewhere, or else they become useless. We tend to position them on landings where the old landing window has been removed for what ever reason. Once all the doors are closed and the space is unlit, then they are very effective.

Windowless areas only.(y)

Sponsored Links
My parents had a couple fitted, as others say they are easy to fit, and they work.

Sun tubes do work to provide natural light but they are not as pleasant as a roof window that you can see out of in my opinion. Have you considered the possibility of a roof window (Velux) with a lightwell through from the roof to the ceiling if the distance is not too great ?

Friend has a couple but the light is poor in bathrooms, they always use lights , so they removed the tubes in favour of more lighting.

Sun tunnels are not meant to substitute a regular window or roof window, nor are they meant to substitute electric lighting.

As I said previously, they merely add natural light in the absence of windows etc. They are best represented in area that say once had a window that has been removed and are most effective when no other light from elsewhere is polluting.

They do work but in all honesty, the conditions for which they thrive, seldom occur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back