Super Hod 1970's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone remember a guy in the 70's who was a hod carrier on building sites?

Think his name was Malcolm something and he was earning a fortune keeping the brickies supplied during the housing boom. He did it by building his own 'Super Hod' that carried two or three times more bricks than the standard hod and I think he was earning up to a thousand pound a week.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads. Thats the guy but I thought he was a brickies mate and earning a grand a week. Obviously reading the wrong papers at the time Lol

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads. Thats the guy but I thought he was a brickies mate and earning a grand a week. Obviously reading the wrong papers at the time Lol

I was thinking of the same guy conny........ cant remember his name but he was in the tabloids in the 70,s saying he was earning 1k a week and he was a hod carrier

Funny you should mention Max Quaterman. I thought of him the other day and had a quick Google. He was supposed to be earning more than Harold Wilson in the 70s. Didn't find out what happened to him

I think he got laid. :LOL:

He was a plasterer's mate wasn't he? I always thought it was a bit suspicious myself. Just carrying more muck per load doesn't make the job go that much quicker. A plasterer can only use so much muck at a time and the labourer isn't usually more than ten or 15 yards away. I reckon a labourer serving a couple of spreads will still spend most of his time mixing and watching. And if he was earning a grand a week how much were the spreads earning?

Funny you should mention Max Quaterman. I thought of him the other day and had a quick Google. He was supposed to be earning more than Harold Wilson in the 70s. Didn't find out what happened to him.

https://www.argentaimages.com/image...cariier+earns+400+a+week+may+go+to+US[/QUOTE] Max is living in Slough his home town he went on to property development building million plus houses in and around Gerrards Cross Beaconsfield area, now retired a wealthy man.

Thanks for the update Malc, and welcome to the forum.

If anyone deserved to succeed it was Super Hod.

That time you were likely mixing outside, by a heap of sand and you had to get it in the building , up stairs too. Often much more than 20 yard away. If you look at how much gear two quick spreads use, a good labourer in the gang was worth more than a poor spread. The key was getting ahead in the morning when they were slapping it on, so when they slowed down to rule off and float up, you could tidy up, prepare the next bit and have a rest ie the pressure was off a bit.

I'm sure there was a bit more to it than that as said above. And - perhaps in a thousand years the story will be that he moved mountains of muck and fed 5000 spreads with it :D

Sponsored Links
Back