Supply 3ph to my garage.?

Now..! Don't shout at me but....... :)

I can get the required CFM from a single phase compressor, as there is one that runs 2x 4hp motors, I was looking at using a 7.5ph 3ph compressor as we have 3ph.

Would the running costs be that different as one is on single phase the other 3ph?

I realise the hp is around the same, the taffies will be the same, so.. does 3ph work more efficiently than 1ph..?

Cheers,

db.

Ok shout away.. 45amps..?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Would the running costs be that different as one is on single phase the other 3ph?
No, not per se, if all other things are equal. The running costs depend on the total amount of energy used, regardless of how many phases are involved.

Kind Regards, John

The only difference will be the efficiency of the motor(s), two smaller might use more power than one larger, but it all depends on the exact motor.

What air tools are you using?

24cfm sand blast cabinet would be the most air required.

Am I right on the single phase 8hp requiring 45amp? If so this would mean running a larger swa, from the meter as our consumer unit is upstairs, meter is outside and closer to the garage, 45amp sounds a big draw as we have a 30amp Aga, twin 13amp immersions for hot water, think we only have 60amp coming in...

Heads beginning to hurt now.. :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
8 horsepower being the input or output power? If it's actually just a straight 6kw then it would be less than 30A but it's not domestic equipment so it depends on the power factor of the device. You also need to check the startup current.
It would come with a data sheet telling you all this information though.

Pushing my luck now.... My mate says "couldn't you use an inverter?"

Set on buying a 7.5hp 3phase compressor, could it be run of an inverter..? saves running a new sub main to my garage...

Thanks,

db.

Pushing my luck now.... My mate says "couldn't you use an inverter?" Set on buying a 7.5hp 3phase compressor, could it be run of an inverter..? saves running a new sub main to my garage...
Using an inverter wouldn't alter the amount of power needed. In fact, it would increase a bit, since no inverter is going to be 100% efficient.

Kind Regards, John

Using an inverter wouldn't alter the amount of power needed. In fact, it would increase a bit, since no inverter is going to be 100% efficient.

Kind Regards, John
Quite correct, however one could use the inverter to start the compressor each time, using a fairly slow start accereration will remove the massive start current.

Kind Regards, John

D'oh! Of course.. :)

One 3ph 7.5hp compressor bought, 30cfm. A Happy bunny here.

Thanks for all your advice guys, you have been a big help.

Cheers,

db.

In response to the questions on page 2 (I think you may wish you hadn't asked), take a look at the Electricity Supply Standard License Conditions condition 39

• 39.1 says The Supplier must "take all reasonable steps to ensure that a Smart Metering System is installed... at each Domestic Premises"
  • A Smart Metering System is defined as consisting of "an Electricity Meter and any associated or ancillary devices identified in the Metering Equipment Section of a Version of the SME Technical Specification".
  • 39.3 gives exemptions for CT meters
  • 39.4 gives an exemption where The Supplier "has, prior to the Relevant Date, made arrangements for an Advanced Meter to be installed at that Designated Premises"
  • The Relevant Date was the end of 2018.
  • 39.13 gives an exemption for "Non-Domestic, Non-Micro Business Consumers" where "the Consumer has chosen not to have... a Smart Metering System"

So, until end 2018 suppliers could install AMR meters (non-SMETS smart meters) and get credit towards license condition 39 and their Ofgem targets. Since then, they only get this credit if installing in a non-domestic premise where the consumer has chosen not to have one.

So since 2018 no supplier is incentivised to give you a "free" non-SMETS meter - it has to be a SMETS2 meter to count towards the license condition. There are currently no SMETS2 three-phase meters (one is coming out shortly, subject to COVID-19 delays, so you might be able to get one towards the end of the year).

Other meters which the manufacturers advertise as "smart e.g. the Secure Sprint on page 2 or the EMDI Mk10D on another post in the forum do not conform to the definition of SMETS in the license conditions so they don't count.

In response to the questions on page 2 (I think you may wish you hadn't asked), take a look at the Electricity Supply Standard License Conditions condition 39

• 39.1 says The Supplier must "take all reasonable steps to ensure that a Smart Metering System is installed... at each Domestic Premises"
  • A Smart Metering System is defined as consisting of "an Electricity Meter and any associated or ancillary devices identified in the Metering Equipment Section of a Version of the SME Technical Specification".
  • 39.3 gives exemptions for CT meters
  • 39.4 gives an exemption where The Supplier "has, prior to the Relevant Date, made arrangements for an Advanced Meter to be installed at that Designated Premises"
  • The Relevant Date was the end of 2018.
  • 39.13 gives an exemption for "Non-Domestic, Non-Micro Business Consumers" where "the Consumer has chosen not to have... a Smart Metering System"

So, until end 2018 suppliers could install AMR meters (non-SMETS smart meters) and get credit towards license condition 39 and their Ofgem targets. Since then, they only get this credit if installing in a non-domestic premise where the consumer has chosen not to have one.

So since 2018 no supplier is incentivised to give you a "free" non-SMETS meter - it has to be a SMETS2 meter to count towards the license condition. There are currently no SMETS2 three-phase meters (one is coming out shortly, subject to COVID-19 delays, so you might be able to get one towards the end of the year).

Other meters which the manufacturers advertise as "smart e.g. the Secure Sprint on page 2 or the EMDI Mk10D on another post in the forum do not conform to the definition of SMETS in the license conditions so they don't count.

I already have a 3ph meter... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back